Thursday, January 08, 2009

Feeling Like a Fool

Yesterday night, as I was driving my kids down the usual two-lane highway by our house, I saw flashing lights. No, I didn't hear anything because, apparently, my radio was too loud. Yes, I know that's a big no-no, but the kids were driving me nuts, and I...I just love listening to music. I mean when we bought our van, the thing that made me all giddy with excitement was having the control to the radio on the steering wheel. I thought it was the best thing to happen to me with the exception of getting pregnant with the reason why we bought the van in the first place. Back to the the story. I immediately pulled over, because hey, that is what I was told to do in my driving class from umpteen years ago. Guys, as I saw the vehicle come near me, I realized it was only a snow plow and not an ambulance. I felt like the biggest idiot! I also was incredibly lucky that I didn't get hit.

The night didn't end on that awful moment. Remember I was summoned to jury duty as a standby? Well, I had to call to see if I had to report to the courthouse. I prayed that I didn't because I had absolutely no one who could watch my kids. Well, God answered my prayers because only people whose last names began with the letter F through the letter H were called. I don't even have to call again today. What a relief!
The one thing that bothered me was I couldn't understand what the pre-recorded message said. I couldn't hear it. It was not clear, so I had to have hubby call back to confirm that I didn't have to go.

The lesson I learned from both of these incidents is: number one turn the radio down in the car, and number two turn down the volume on my iPod. I really think most of my hearing loss has come from working out with the iPod being too loud. At times, I feel about 80 years old! ( It is really pretty though, isn't it?)

1 comment:

Wait Another Year said...

Don't worry about it - we all have those foolish moments.

And yes, your iPod is really pretty (my fav color too!) I wish I could afford one. I just have this cheap mp3 player. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get an iPod sometime this year.