Wednesday, August 03, 2005

It's Starting Already!

Just for backgrounds sake, Steve's birthday is in the fall. In Illinois, the cut-off for entering kindergarten is September 1st. Most preschool's have their cut-off date as September 1st too. Steve's birthday is after that.

So now that I have told you that, I will tell you the dilemma I have now. Most of the women in my play group, and various toddler classes we attend, have children that will be age 3 by the time preschool starts in the fall. The few who don't are enrolling their children in the 2 1/2's programs that are very few and far between. Now even if I could get in, I do not believe Steve needs 3 years of preschool before going off to kindergarten. I just don't. If I wait until next year to send him, he'll have a good two years of preschool before kindergarten starts. The thing that bugs me is that I feel looked down upon because I have made the decision to keep Steve home another year. I do not believe he will lose out academically or socially by not going this year. Hey, I know the value of education, remember I was a teacher in my former life, but I also know about readiness. A child needs to be ready to learn or attain certain skills before they can do it. Pushing him is not going to make it happen. I just don't believe in that. Parents are talking about how smart their kid is going to be by going, but I don't buy it. And speaking of buying it, we'd end up paying almost $2,000 for the pleasure of having Steve attend preschool. That's for one year, remember he'd have three! I feel like the odd man out, but I have to do what I think is right. Heck, I've got a number for a babysitter. I got it Sunday. Do you think I've called the woman yet? Yah, I've got issues. We'll discuss THOSE another time.

1 comment:

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

Please tell me this is tumbling class your agonizing over. Preschool doesn't seem on the horizon, your son is too young.
How did he grow up so fast.

Chloe cannot start kindergarten until she's 5 going on 6 because of her birthday. So, this will be our last year of daycare. Woo Hoo.

This is not to say that I won't leave her at the christian school for kindergarten. I really don't want to let my only baby loose in a public school. I really will do my research, perhaps move before she begin's kindergarten.

Yes, you were a teacher in your former life, but you'll always be a teacher in your heart. I am beginning to realize I might always be an anal type 1 banker whose got a very analytical mind.
I don't think is is going to make a good charachteristc for an elementary school teacher. I'm pretty rigid and adhere to the in the box thinking.

Good luke, because last week I swore I was having this same anxiety attack. I think one good anxiety attack a week is good.

PS Paxil CR is back on the market.

Jen