Friday, August 26, 2005

Are You Always At Home During the Day?

Today I finally was able to coordinate, get myself together, to have one of the contractors come over to give me an estimate on putting in a paver patio. The owner of the company came with his 'designer', so I'm guessing this is going to be a bit too pricey for us at this time. At any rate, as they are leaving the designer asked if I was always home during the day. Now he seemed like a very nice man, but I am sensitive to my SAHM status lately, and wanted to tell him, "Hey, buddy. I DO leave the house once in a while!" I mean what the F***! People still do see the SAHM as literally a mom who STAYS at home. I can't just stay at home; I go nuts.

I've been telling Jeff that I seriously need to go back to work. There was even a job opening at my old school. Jeff told me to do what I needed to do. Problem is, how do you find daycare, a GOOD daycare, in just two weeks time. You don't. I also believe I made a commitment to these children, and I must honor that. However, I believe a part-time job would be the best. Just how do you find a part-time job you love, that pays you enough to warrant working? I don't know. In my next life I'm coming back as a man!

3 comments:

formerteacher said...

Laura, I would LOVE to job-share, but unfortunately my district is not that progressive. The gifted pull-out program teachers do share their job as well as a few LD resource teachers, but mainly it's still the junior high teachers who do it, and there's not many of them! I guess they still haven't figured out how they can have two elementary school teachers split the days, and how to do it without pissing off the parents. UGH! You know how that scene goes! In the meantime, my brain is turning to mush!
Good luck with the beginning of the school year. Ah..fresh beginnings. I always loved the beginning of a new year!
Bev

formerteacher said...

Kelly,
Oh the stereotype of the SAHM; I hate it! Although my brother who is a SAHD gets it worse than I do.

I would love to work PT for my mental status too. I'm telling ya', I would feel like a productive member of society then, and I'd have more to talk about than poopy diapers, spit up, and potty training.
Oh, well. I know it's all worth it.

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

Work can wait. I hate corporate america work. I dislike the corporate stuff everday. What in the world would you go to school for? I am thinking of enrolling at the school my husband attends to get my teachers' certification at my corporate job's expense.
I am supposed to go monday and write some bs essay to express that my role as a teacher would be.

What would you get your mastesr in?
What type of school. Do you think you could teach one night a week at a local college? This may help your part time urge. Do you want your kids in daycare? My husband is just about nutz from having our daughter home.

The kicker is that my psych thinks dh is lazy. I got the impression that men= paycheck to him, would he ever tell a SAHM to get a job?
I have alot of issues right now.
A great beach trip and some money would help.

JT