Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It Costs A Lot to Be Crazy!

After being given precious samples of my anti-depressants, mainly due to dosage changes and a very nice nurse, I had to have my prescription filled for my current dose of meds. The dose that is working so well for me, knock on wood! Well, the maker of this drug does not make my level of dose in one pill, even though my dose is a very common one. So it entails my psychiatrist having to prescribe that I take the one of the highest dose pills twice a day. Then I have to take one pill of the lesser dose at the same time. While this is very annoying, it is even more expensive. With insurance, guys, I just spent $90.00. One bottle contains 60 pills, and the other 30 pills. Only one month's supply of this miracle medication. Did I also mention I have allergies, hypothyroidism and interstitial cystitis, the latter of which was brought on by my first surgery for my endo. Nice present, eh? Like, oh by the way, we lasered off the endo. and left a nice burn of sorts on your bladder. We think. However, we will never admit to any wrongdoing. Let's just call it a coincidence. My urologist does not agree with that. Nevertheless, that was an expensive trip to the emergency room! So adding up my monthly supply of meds, that are by the grace of God covered 80% by insurance, and we pay about $135.00/month. I ask you, how does one who does not have insurance pay that amount. Because my anti-depressants alone would run us $300.00 without coverage! Now you know why there are so many mentally disturbed people on the street getting no treatment. It's too expensive!

It's a love-hate relationship between me and the drug companies. I hate that they charge such outrageous prices for medications they know people can't do without, however if it wasn't for my current anti-depressant I wouldn't be doing as well as I am presently. So I'm damned if I do, and damned if I don't. Luckily, I can afford to be crazy!!! I am only joking about mental illness as I do know it's not funny. I am my mother's child, though, and agree that for some particularly horrible diseases you have to laugh. It's the only thing that will get you through. Like my mom once had a very interesting question about her chemotherapy treatments side-effects. Her question? Why does chemo. make your hair fall out everywhere except for your legs and armpits, which is really where you don't want any hair to be? Indeed! Does anyone have an answer to that one? I still haven't been able to figure it out.

1 comment:

Jen Taurus said...

Yes Bev, It's expensive to be crazy. I feel ya. Between psych appts, therapist and med's it's a small fortune. I'm hoping that I decrease my meds at some point.
I in know way thing I'm ready. I have sleeping problems and my therapist recommended getting checked at a sleep clinic. I don't think so.

I have great insurance and use flexspending for my rx's but i ran out of it so quickly this year.

Oh yeah. My therapist is leaving ot start his own practice. I don't think I'm going to join him.
I feel this disloyalty when people leave their current health setting and move to their own gig. I think after my gastric bypass I will need to have a different kind of therapy. Something more behavioral or something. I guess I'm ready to concquer everything, but will do nothing.

One thing at a time. I'm super stressed over $$, we never have enough.

Jennifer