Saturday, December 03, 2005

Just an Observation and R.'s 6-month Appointment

I have big boys. Actually, I should say I have big babies. The other day I took the boys to the pediatrician. S. was going to get a well-child visit and then the flu shot, R. was going to have his 6-month visit and shots. Well, they weighed and checked out S. first. Now I knew my son was a string bean and all, and that he could fit into his brother's diapers, but I didn't know just how skinny he was. He is only a bit over 28 pounds; R, is 18 pounds, 3 ounces. S. was still a bigger baby. S. was enormous! Tall and chunky. R. is shorter, more compact, which is cool since he fits into S.'s old clothes longer. The thing is S. has gained only 10 pounds since he was 6 months old. My boy is definitely a mover! He eats, and eats, and eats, and nothing sticks to him! He will like this when he gets older. He definitely takes after my brother, and me as a child. My brother still has a 29 inch waist, and has to work out to put on weight! R. seems to be taking after J.'s family, who struggle with their weight. I do not want that for him; it has been so hard on J. It's just weird how two boys can come from the same parents, and yet be completely different.

As we were driving home from the appointment, I saw yet another Pet Sitter truck. As I've mentioned before, our area is becoming increasingly affluent. But it just made me laugh, and then ponder the issue. Would I have a pet sitter come to my house if I worked and had disposable income? I am nuts about my dog too, just so you know. I decided I might if I was a doctor or someone with a schedule that required me to work long and goofy hours. The newest addition to our neighborhood includes a couple that are DINKs, double income, no kids. I remember being that neighbor once! Anyway, since I am a SAHM I am privy to most goings-on that I wouldn't be had I worked. Well, these two have a pet-sitter come everyday. I wouldn't even know where to find a pet-sitter. However, I DO know where to find a mobile pet groomer, and I will be using them just as soon as said dog needs another haircut. It is so hard to take two boys and a scrappy Shih-Tzu in to PetsM*rt, and I do not like taking her on the weekend. So this mobile pet groomer is answer to my prayers! Suddenly, as a parent of two, I understand just so much more.

1 comment:

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

Do you really want a pet sitter or a baby sitter? I bet your puppy is less work then the babies.

I understand your concern about having a big baby. C was supposed to be big but a simple 7lbs, and her feet are tiny. Were talking barely a 9 toddlers on a almost 5 year old. This aggrivates me because she cannot get the cute littel hello kitty or barbie shoes.
As far as her weight she was like 14-16 pounds at 6 months. I loved the chunky cheeks. I miss my baby.
Childhood is tougher too. These brats at school are always telling her things that contradict what I'm telling her and then taking their words for it instead of mine.
One little brat told her that santa clause wasn't real and there was no such thing as xmas. So I go into this explaination which I don't beleive in but tell her to be P/c that some kids don't celebrate santa. Come on now. IT always takes one to ruin it.

As for the kids weights, i'm just going to say this, it's hell being a fat kid. I had such a hard time finding clothes that fit me. They didn't have plus kids sizes when I was younger. I was bigger than normal kids, then after high school i balooned over 200 pounds and have gained some more. I'm proportionate, I don't have a huge butt or saddle bags, my weight is disbursed in front but ti's not built up in one place except the tummy. THis made me so self concious when I was pregnant, I didn't want to get bigger than a house, now they have plus sized preganant clothes. The last thing I wanted when I was pregnant was uncomfortable clothes.

My daughter is normal height and weight. Next year we will do the kindergarten pysical in her 5 year check up. My dr never said she was overweight but I worry about it. She's pretty active too.

My husbands' dad's side is always infatuated with weight. I really feel like they've always looked down on me for being overweight, like they didn't want to spend time in my company. I actually still feel this way. They always said C was a big baby and bought these clothes that were way too big. We have a bunch of brandnew stuff becuase they buy stuff too big. I'm glad they've stopped buying her things now. I don't really even keep in touch with them. My side of the family is about 50% overweight. My mom never made a big deal about it.

My goal is to buy off shelf clothes at Gap and Old Navy, instead of plus sized. I guess my goal is simpler than depending on a size which is out of reach, I'm average and not petite or tall.

I am sorry this is so long. Dh was overweight and now he's body building and looks great. None of the motivation wore off on me. Were jsut two different people.

Jennifer