Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Erasure

This year we have decided to switch banks, which we've wanted to do for a very long time. At any rate, my name on my driver's license includes my maiden name, which I LOVE, and also my married name. Kind of like: Jane Jones Smith. I have had my name on my credit card listed the same way. In fact, my credit card has been issued since 1995, at this bank. (I believe in maintaining your own credit separately). Well, guys my maiden name has been taken off of everything. I feel like the 'real me' is becoming invisible. I know I'm the same person, but keeping my maiden name made me feel like part of 'me' still existed. The part that came before children and marriage. I felt like an individual, and now I feel part of me bleeding into my husband. I feel like I'm being erased again. I know it's silly, but that's the way I feel.

1 comment:

Jen Taurus said...

I know what you mean. I changed banks this summer and had to break up with them. I hate them. I am now with a credit union, way less technology and they do not accept ACH debits to our account. How funny. I had to go to social security to get a new card issued because I lost mine and i was informed that I had to drop my two middle names because there were too many letters. Ofcourse, their system has all my names, but they won't fit on the card, but when i got married they all fit on the card. So I have two last names. I have a very common married last name and it honestly is a PITA with the constant name mix ups at dr's offices, pharmacy, etc. So I hypennate for the most part. The DMV recommended it because the last name is similar to smith and we know there's way to many jennifer's in this world.

Now, working in a school is different too. Because I am MRS Taurus, it's so weird to be called MRS. That's my Grandmother In LAw's name, not mine. Ugh...