Monday, February 04, 2008

I Don't Know What To Say; Two Losses, One Close To Home

There are two things currently rendering me speechless. The first one is a fellow blogger named Mary Ellen. Many of you may know her. She has gone through multiple years of hell trying to conquer infertility. It finally looked as though a light had shined down on her when she became pregnant with triplets. Three little girls as it turns out. Well, after a not so easy pregnancy, Mary Ellen lost all three babies at nearly 19 weeks.
I thought that I had it rough with my infertility. And I did, I really did. However, when I began reading ME's blog it occurred to me that things could have been even worse. I can't even begin to understand why these beautiful little girls were taken from a wonderful, loving couple. I usually believe there is a reason for everything, but I can't for the life of me figure out the reason for this. I can only imagine how much ME's heart is breaking right now. Rest in peace Sylvia, Claire and Lucy. Rest in peace.

Unfortunately, there was another awful thing that happened this weekend, and it happened in the town I grew up in. When I lived in this town there was not much there in terms of strip malls and such. In fact, our grade school was surrounded by farms. I remember getting stern warnings if I ever went into the cornfields. It's hard to believe that now with all of the growth. At any rate, there was a shooting in a Lane Bryant store. Five women were killed. Five! It blew my mind, because we suburbanites think we are so safe from crime. You know the whole 'things like that don't happen here' belief. Well, they do now. The story was on the front page of every newspaper, and was on all of the afternoon as well as the evening news programs. All I could do was to pray for the victims and their families. One woman's family was interviewed. The woman's sister told the reporter that her sister had a daughter who is entering her teens. She said the daughter needs her mother. Every girl/woman needs her mother. Every last one of us.

4 comments:

Brandy said...

I think Mary Ellen and Steve's story has touched so very many people. It's truly a heartbreaking situation.

I read about that yesterday and that is just horrible! It does sometimes feel like we're safe in our little suburban existences but sadly that is just not the case any more.

Teachermom said...

That's just heartbreaking, on both accounts. Both Mary Ellen's miscarriage and the shooting seem senseless.

Jen Taurus said...

How sad for all those involved.
Those precious little babies.

And the poor woment in lane bryant working so tiredlessly to be murdered in cold blood. So senseless.

May people in the 'burb's and rural america let their guards down and it takes and for a tragedy to happen.

Katie said...

There are really no words. Only God and time can heal now.