Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Money Shot

No, it's not that money shot. Lord knows no one would pay me to give them that! No, what I have recently been wondering is a bit different than that. I'll just come out and say it. My son S. seeing me naked is beginning to make me uncomfortable. Just the other day my husband told S. to show me something, and I had just come out of the shower and was putting my underwear on . Guys, I was facing the opposite way from him while putting on my underwear. Think about it. The only way I can put it more clearly is even my husband can only see it when he is behind me while we're having sex. Sorry for that image! You with me now? I turned around quickly, but he didn't seem to show any signs of thinking maybe he shouldn't have seen his mother's, hell, everything. Me, well, I was a little freaked out. My husband, though, didn't seem to think there was anything wrong.

Another day my husband told me to come quick and look at something. At the time, I was naked again. (No, I am not always naked, I assure you.) I thought something was wrong, so I walked quickly out of my room. Tot looked at me; S. again, didn't seem to notice. (Tot has a thing with my breasts. He stares at them or pats them all the time lately when I have my shirt ON. It's weird.) Again, I did not feel comfortable. You know, I don't like being topless in front of them, but them seeing me completely nude really bothers me. I also don't want them to be scarred for life with images of their naked mother in their head. Think about how much sex they'd have with that image in their heads! Hey, maybe I should walk around them naked while their in high school!

Guys, particularly mothers of boys, when does it stop being appropriate to be naked in front of your sons? I mean, I know I'm weirded out, but when will it be bad for them to see me naked? My husband doesn't see any problem with this. Course, I could ask him when the last time he remembers seeing his mother naked? That 'll put it into perspective for him! Seriously, give me your opinions.....

4 comments:

Katie said...

My kids enjoy patting my breasts too, even with the shirt on. They've seen me naked a few times and always think the breasts are funny. They'll poke at the nipple or slap it. I guess it's different so they're curious.

I don't know the answer to your question but would assume around the time when they start talking better (like 3 yrs old)? They might tell others what they've seen and that's embarrassing. I know I try my best to not let my kids see me naked from now on. They are smarter than we think!

Brandy said...

I have no idea but I've wondered the same thing! My guy is about to turn 1 and is still nursing so I'm not too worried about the breasts part but I do worry about being completely naked in front of him. I think I'm with Katie, maybe around 2-3 years old or whenever you feel the least comfortable with it. Good luck!

Teachermom said...

M is kind of a breast patter sometimes. I think it's because they're there and soft and sticking out. THey are somewhat drawn to th em. :)

M is oblivious to things, but C has stopped letting K see him naked. So I guess that's the same as your dilemma, only with opposite genders. She doesn't pay much attention, really, but it makes him feel uncomfortable.

If it makes you uncomfortable, then I say it's a good time to have the privacy discussion. It's good for him to hear it, anyway, since he's going to school and with other kids. And if you're talking about your privacy, then I guess it would go for both boys at the same time, you know?

Good times, this parenting gig. :)

Kate said...

I decided it was time to be more careful/modest when Brody came into the bathroom while I was on the toilet, opened the cupboard, handed me a tampon and said, "Here mama!"

Yeah.