Saturday, October 18, 2008

Do All Moms Of Boys Do This?

I have talked about my husband's long hours before. Because of this, I feel it is important to spend some time with my oldest doing 'boy things'. Let me preface this by saying I am NOT a sports person. I am not athletic, I don't care about football and the Bears and I certainly was never what you'd consider as being a 'tomboy'. I was/am more girly than anything. I go to the gym and am stronger than I used to be, but that is about all that I do that requires strength.
Anyway, back to my boy. Having said all this, I know S. is all boy, and therefore he wants to do 'boy things'. His dad can only do these things on the weekends, and sometimes S. wants to do these things during the week. What's a mom to do? Let me tell you what I do. I have played catch with the baseball. I have also done this with a football. I have explained to him how to do these two things correctly. Yeah, me. That's a laugh, isn't it? I have showed him how to hit a ball on the tee my dad bought. Me, the 'the anti-sport'. But what can a mother with boys do? I believe you suck it up, and just do it. I actually think the people on my block are surprised to see us. Surprised to see a 'girl' out there teaching her son sports-related things. And THAT I love.

1 comment:

Teachermom said...

Yay, you! I think it is good for our kids to see their moms doing 'boy things' or their dads doing 'girl things' with them, as the case may be. I haven't done much of the 'boy stuff' with M yet, except play trains (for HOURS!), but I plan on doing it when he's interested. I have also walked into a room to see C playing the "Pretty, Pretty Princess" game with K, and I think it's just about the sweetest thing ever.