Sunday, November 09, 2008

It's Just What Mothers Do

I don't know about anyone else, but my children and their well-being have come first, even to the detriment of my own health. I haven't been online much lately because I have been going to the damn urologist for the past two weeks. With both boys. At any rate, I felt ill for about two weeks before I even went to the doctor. Why? Who has the time with kindergarten and preschool, homework and chores, and kids' appointments, being paint mom and trying to find someone to watch Tot so now I can go to S.'s classroom to help him make a pine cone turkey. The note said that if a parent can't go to send someone else in our place because the children really need an adult to help. If I had an extra person in my life that would be open to that, why wouldn't I ask them to babysit Tot! As if I needed anymore stress. If I can't go my son will be the only one without a parent to help. Great. No pressure there! Then the next day is family reading night at the school. (Is it a bad thing to hope that we're home in time to watch some of Grey's Anatomy?) Oh, and did I mention the asthma attack that Tot has been dealing with this past week, as well as two weeks before. I have to make an emergency appointment with his pulmonologist. I wonder how I'm going to fit that one in. His doctor is at the children's hospital 40 minutes away. The doctor is only there two days a week and only for only a few hours. His last appointment of the day is about all I could manage without taking S. out of school. Oh, and did I mention that Hubby has been working 12 hour days? So I am doing this all by myself. I can't complain to him, because he's not happy with the hours he's working either.
I am now on my second antibiotic. The first one didn't work. Lovely. Just what I need. Not only do I feel like crap, but now I have to see the doctor again in a week to provide another 'sample' to be cultured. I'm beyond tired of this. I've been dealing with this now for almost a month. It's time that I feel better. I just need to figure out how to fit a little bit of time for me. Not for a massage, not for shopping, but to go to a doctor. Life as a mom has been really exciting lately!

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I hope you're feeling back to normal soon! We all know that Mothers simply have to keep on going even when they feel like crap--the sucky part of motherhood!! I know what you mean about feeling like you never take care of yourself due to everything else you're doing as a Mom. I don't even have a doctor that I go to every year (besides the OB/GYN). I also don't have a hair stylist. I go to the cheapo places that you get coupons for. I've even considered getting my haircut at the kids' place which has cool chairs (like Lightning McQueen and a firetruck chair) AND the kids get to watch a dvd while getting their haircut. At least I'd get my haircut regularly instead of putting it off until it is so long and stringy and pathetic!

Anonymous said...

It may seem like you are doing the best for your children by always putting their needs first, but remember you need to take good care of their mom so she will be around for years and years. A healthy, happy mom is the best gift you can give your children.