Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Good Time Was Had By All

We all ended up having a good time at my dad's wedding. My dad ans his wife , step-mother still sounds weird to me, got married in the chapel at her church. Her son, my brother and I each read a scripture passage and were witnesses. It seemed so surreal, and a bit uncomfortable, watching my dad get married to a woman other than my mom. Did I mention that she, D., has the same name as my mother. How's that for irony?

The reception was a lot of fun. It was great to see old friends and family members we haven't seen in awhile. My mom's side was also there. My aunt even flew in from Arizona! She thought she would get some relief from the hot temperatures there, but alas, no. Our past week has been sweltering! I did end up giving a speech. Most of it I did not have planned beforehand. I did have some things I knew I wanted to say, but most of it was impromptu. The next few days I felt like I had somehow taken away, I guess, from my mom's memory. That she would think she wasn't as important to me as she used ot be. It comes down to the last line in my speech. I said that I felt like D. was a friend, but she is also like a mother. I call her my other mother. My mom will always be my mother, and I'd do just about anything ot have her back. I don't want her to think she was replaced, because no one could ever take her place. My head knows that she knows that, but my heart feels differently. There are still days when I can't believe she's gone. Generally, I am in a very good place right now. I hesitate to even write that because I fear I will jinx it! I do really like the woman my father married. I am so happy for him. So happy that he found happiness again.
I love this picture! This is my father and nephew at the reception.
Hubby and I with the boys. The jewelry I was wearing was from my grandmother's cocktail ring my mother used to wear. I had it made into earrings and a necklace. I had both of the women who meant the most to me there that day.
Hubby and I. Would you believe that this is the first picture of just us that we've taken in almost two years!

Me and the boys. I wore this dress to the chapel. I didn't think a black cocktail dress was appropriate for church.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Wow- you looked amazing. :) I love the picture of you, dh and the boys. :)

Kate said...

You look GORGEOUS, Bev!!

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

You look and sound great. Your kids are so cute and their outfits.

How are you doing with the adjustment wiht your dad?

I just updated my blog, I've been having a really surreal weekend.
I'm in so much pain again ofcourse.

I hope you have a good weekend.

JT

MB said...

You look great and the rest of the family ain't bad either ;)! So glad it was a good time!

Aimee said...

Bev,

You are so beautiful! I love your boys too. They look so sweet in those matching outfits.

Hey-email me: thebusybody@hotmail.com so I can send you my TTC link. :)