Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Whyyyyyy...,Oh, Whyyyyyy?

There are several things in this world that cause me to gasp 'why', such as when a child dies or the whole 'dogfighting saga' that has erupted here in Illinois. Unfortunately, I am not talking about that asshole Michael? Vick who deserves, in my opinion, to be tied up to a treadmill for days, electrocuted, starved and left to sit in his own feces and then if he can tell me what he experienced was not cruel...well, I doubt even he'd be able to say that it wasn't. But anyway, there are some lesser things that cause to ponder the question 'why' when they happen. Here are just a few:

  • Why does it seem that an item I purchased needs either to be price-checked, or I'm overcharged, only when it is something embarressing? Today it was Targ*t's Fiber laxative. Yes, I need to use them because I take medication that, how shall I say this, binds me up. Well, the cashier charged me for two, and I had only purchased one. Of course, I only noticed this after I had payed. I even contemplated not saying anything, but the thrifty side of me said it was nearly SIX DOLLARS! You know what I could buy with that! And yes, I held up the line while the cashier fixed it.
  • Why does Costco open at ten o'clock in the morning? Targ*et and Wal-M*rt, as well as Sam's Club open earlier than that. I had to buy some diapers for Tot. I HAD to as there are not many left. I decided to go after I dropped S. off at summer camp. You know, taking one child is a lot easier than bringing two! Anyway, the sign says "Monday-Friday, hours 10AM-10PM or something. You can probably guess that 10AM was a long way off from the time it was right then. I decided to cut through the Targ*t parking lot on my way home, and I checked their hours. They open at 8 o'clock, guys! 8 O'clock! Guess where I bought Tot's diapers, and where I payed more money even though I found a box on the 'clearance rack'.
  • Why is my oldest constantly saying the opposite of what he wants. Case in point. "S. today you have summer camp. You're going to have so much fun!" (BTW, S. LOVES summer camp). S. says,"I don't want to go to summer camp!!!" I remark, "Okay, you don't have to go to summer camp." (See, I have learned to say the opposite of what I mean in return. Pretty clever, eh?) S. then says,"I WANT TO GO TO SUMMER CAMP!!!" This drives me nuts!
  • Why does our power only go out on nice days, but when it storms we almost always have power? My opinion of Commonwealth Ed*son is worse than Mayor Daley's from back in the 90's. Remember when the power was always going out downtown? Yeah, that is a dangerous situation as there are no windows to open in skyscrapers. I do not like Com. *Ed.
  • Why do certain clothing items disappear, and I only realize it when it's too late to wash another one? Tell me, am I a bad mother because I sent my son to camp in a shirt and shorts that were not stained, but hadn't been washed either?
  • Why do I find out that I put out my younger son's shorts for my older son only when he puts them on and we're walking to the car? Naturally, we are running late so there is no time to change. I don't know what's scarier, that I put out the wrong shorts or that my son fits into 18-24 month shorts at nearly 5 years of age. Yes, they were a bit short, but fit his waist perfectly.
  • Why after almost 20 years have gone by does the song 'Paradise City' by Guns N' Roses still evoke memories of how much I hated moving to a small town at age 15. The lyrics "Take me down to a paradise city where the grass is green and the girls are pretty. Oh, won't you please take me HOME!" really said what I was feeling. I wanted to go home. Five years later I did, and I am still living in what I considered my hometown.
  • And 'why' when my husband and I finally get a night without the boys and we decide to stay at a hotel, do we have a couple who fights. We could hear everything they said, including the highly repeated fuck or fucking, or the other version, fucked. Needless to say, I was not well-rested the next day. If I wanted to listen to screaming and crying, I could have done so at home for free! (BTW, we stayed at a nice hotel in a 'yuppie-posh suburb. There is no excuse for that!)

I could go on and on, but this is a good sampling. Nearly every day I am left with the question 'Why?'.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I am SO glad I'm not the only who is so irritated by Costco's stupid hours!

We had a HORRIBLE hotel experience while we were on vacation and ended up getting the room for 50% off after talking to the manager. Did you try that?

Teachermom said...

Oh, I've got a few things to say here:

First of all (and in no particular order), Paradise City reminds me of summer camp, because in the talent show they'd changed the words to, "MCYC (the camp name) is such a pity, all the guys are ugly and the girls are pretty!" Ha ha ha! Thanks for the memory, I wouldn't have thought of it unless you'd brought up the song.

Clothing - Oh, it KILLS me when I lose stuff! Mostly it's stuff for M that he has grown out of by the time I find it again. HATE it!

On Being Contrary...we are going through the SAME thing at our house with K - must come with the territory of the four year old set!

Can't wait to see you...NEXT WEEKEND!!!!!

:) Laura

MB said...

Excellent questions all. I have no answers, so let me know if you get any insight...