Friday, December 14, 2007

Busy Bee

I guess I sort-of left things on a not too happy note. Things have actually been pretty good this week for our family. I found a babysitter! I'll say it again. I FOUND A BABYSITTER!!! On Tuesday, Hubby and I got to go Christmas shopping by ourselves! I had forgotten what it felt like being alone with my husband. The last time we were out alone, we went to a wake. Yeah, I just don't consider that a fun evening for two. Oh, the last fun event that we went to alone was our former baby sitter's wedding on September 22nd. And I don't know about anyone else, but weddings just aren't fun to me.

Yesterday, though, was so much fun! Hubby's work had a holiday party at a new, ritzy hotel. At first, I so didn't want to go. Hubby was telling me how creative these people are in the division he works at now. And also how they will not be dressed how I dress, which is conservatively. I'll admit it guys, I am not the swankiest dresser. No, I'll take that back. If the outfit is in black or dark brown, I'm there. I think I just feel safe in those colors. This time, though, I decided to try something new. I bought a new outfit, right down to the burgundy, pointed crocodile shoes. I bought cool jewelry, and new, hip pants. Man, did I have fun shopping! The main part of my outfit was grey/black, but hey, did I mention the burgundy shoes and cool jewelry??? AND, the pants were super hip. Not my usual mom-like church clothes. I finally decided to try something new. An outfit that I've wanted to buy, but had nothing to wear it to. AND, it turns out I was dressed perfectly for the event. Get this. I even got compliments on my outfit, and asked where I got it from. Let me say this, that does not happen often. I was so proud of myself for taking a risk. I felt great! Dare I say that I actually felt attactive and not like a frumpy mom.

Since this is a new division of the company, I was worried that we wouldn't have anyone to talk to. There were over two-hundred people there. Then I always worry about my stay-at-home status. People always ask me what I 'do' for a living. Man, do I hate that question! I was wrong about that. I found several people who used to be teachers, so we had a lot to talk about. I also talked to this very nice woman who stays at home too. I will tell you that I talked to as many or more people than my husband. He never had to worry about leaving me alone, and for the first time, I didn't worry at all about being left. I had a great time. I love this new division! Everyone is so nice. Not that his old division of the company was not. They were just a little stuffier. For instance, Hubby used to wear suits every day. Now polos and casual pants are fine. He also gets to wear jeans on Fridays, and in the summer some of the people wear shorts. I am so happy Hubby got a promotion. I'm happy for him, and I'm happy for me. It's been a very good change for all of us.

As for me, I have hardly had time to sit down the entire week. Between Christmas shopping, tumbling, preschool drop-off, meetings, parties at various companies, well I am tired! Maybe that's why I keep rambling. Right now things are good, and I pray that is how they remain. Christmas is hard for me, but after Christmas is harder. You know, when things slow down and you have way too much time to think. I don't do well with too much time on my hands.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Congrats to your hubby on his promotion! And I'm so glad you had such a great time at the party. Taking a risk in fashion is so exciting when it works out. ;) You should post some pictures of your outfit.

I love this time of the year even though I am so busy I can't think straight. Between the gift shopping, preparing for my party, and all the other regular chores I have to do, I can't find a minute to spare either. But like you say, things will slow down drastically after this month and I'll have plenty of time to think.

Oh yeah, and how fun is that to shop without our kids, right? It's almost like a mini-vacation for me. I get so giddy and excited even driving down the road...lol. Those few hours we need to get some serious shopping done without the kids crying or fussing is just so sweet! I usually love taking them out but when it's just me and them, oh boy! I better make it quick.

Also, sorry to hear about your friends' divorce. These things happen even to the best of us. I hope you will be able to carry your friendship with the both of them. Good friends are truly hard to find.