Monday, January 26, 2009

It Always Happens That Way, Doesn't it?

After dropping S. off at kinder., I went to pick up one of Tot's asthma meds. I had to go in the freakin' Wal*reen's because my husband's company has decided to switch the part of the insurance that deals with the prescriptions. Don't get me started on them...Serenity now, Serenity now... Anyway, as I was leaving I saw a woman who looked familiar. It only took me a second to figure out who she was. (That's good these days!) So I tentatively said to her, "Mary???" She turned around and said the same to me. I then remembered that I didn't have any makeup on except powder and lip gloss. Let's just say last night our house became the house of puke and diarrhea, but that's another story.

Now I haven't seen Mary since we were about 19 or 20. We went to junior high and part of high school together. She was the crazy fun one of the group. Jeez, memories of swimming in her pool, movies, etc. etc. As I left, I realized just how weird it is to see people I used to know so well, and haven't seen in over 10+ years. That's another story for another time, though. Let me get back my point It just always seems that I meet someone when I look my worst. I think all you moms out there can empathize with me when I say after a night of vomit and a morning of minor diarrhea, I didn't look my best. Why do I never meet someone when I'm wearing a good outfit and my make up is on. Or when my hair is not sticking up? I'm sure if she meets one of the friends we shared, she'll say,"Jeez, FT didn't age well." Lovely.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

I hear you on that one....this past summer we ran into one of the Moms from Lauren's pre-school? She had asked how Kirsten was sleeping at night and I had told her she was doing very well. I realized later after looking in the mirror that she probably thought I looked sooo tired and figured the baby kept me up which would explain why I looked like hell. I immediately thought, do NOT go out before showering and doing make-up!!! Not that I always remember, of course...

Wait Another Year said...

I know what you mean, but don't think too much about it. I'm sure she has her bad days too. I hardly apply make-up or fix my hair when I go grocery shopping or run a quick errand. The only time is when I'm going to be out most of the day.