Tuesday, October 11, 2005

He Can Really Do It Now

Steve dressed himself today. Not just his shoes, but everything. Plus, his shirt was on the right way, the pockets of his jeans were in the back, his socks were on ALL THE WAY, and his shoes were on the right feet. At first I could literally feel the glow of mommy pride as I watched my big boy obviously so proud of himself, and I was proud of him too. But then, THEN, I thought to myself, 'What the heck will he need me for if he can do everything himself?', and then I got a little weepy. I guess this is what this whole parenting thing is about. Taking a baby who is reliant on you for everything, and molding him into this free-thinking person who can do for himself. I had to remind myself that this is a GOOD thing. My neighbor tells me I will actually enjoy not being needed so much, and I believe her--I DO, it's just a little bittersweet as endings usually are. Most of them anyway.

No comments: