Wednesday, October 19, 2005

My Weird Taste in Music

I LOVE music! Always have, always will. And I love a variety of music. By that I mean that I can listen to 50 Cent one moment and Barbara Streisand the next(particularly her duet with Neil Diamond, 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers Anymore').It got me through a rough break-up.

On the way to the hospital to have both of my kids, I had the CD's picked out that I would listen to on the way. Now remember I was in labor with Steve, not a planned c-section like with my boy Ryan. Do you want to know the song I listened to with Steve? 'Let's Get Down To Business', from the Eminem Show. I thought it was kind-of fitting, you know. I WAS getting down to business.

With Ryan I listened to 50 Cent's song 'In Da' Club'. You know the song that goes like this: 'Hey shorty(my little baby) it's your birthday. We gonna party like it's your birthday. We gonna sip Barcardi? like it's your birthday. And you know we don't give a fuck 'cause it's your birthday.' I found this song fitting because it WAS Ryan's birthday. And one of our nicknames for our children is 'shorty'.

But the one song that can get me to cry every time I listen to it is the old Harry Chapin song 'The Cat in the Cradle'. Let me highlight why; I hope I'm not boring you!

'...He came to us in the usual way. But there planes to catch , bills to pay. He learned to walk while I was away. ....Hey Dad. Can you teach me to play. Son, I can't. He said,"That's OK." And he smiled as he walked away and said,"I'm going to be like you, Dad. Someday I'm going to be like you." And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. Little boy blue and the man on the moon. When you comin' home Dad? I don't know when, but we'll get together then, son. You know we'll have a good time then. (And then at the end of the song), "I have long since retired. My son's moved away. I called him up just the other day. I said I 'd like to see you if you don't mind? He said I'd love to dad if I could find the time. But the new job's a hassle and the kids got the flu, but it's sure nice talking to you dad. It's sure been nice talking to you. ANd as I hung up the phone it occurred to me he'd grown up just like me. My boy was just like me!" And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. Little boy and the man on the moon. When you coming home SON? I don't know when, but we'll have a good time then, DAD. You know we'll have a good time then.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this song because of it's lesson. You can't get back the time you didn't spend with your children. Listen to the whole song. I just highlighted the parts that particularly stick with me. This song was recorded in 1976 or 1977, I believe. One of my all time favorites, especially now that I'm a parent. Here's the link with all the lyrics if you'd like to read them. If they don't make you cry, then I don't know what will! Cats' in the Cradle

So there you go. I can listen to rap, hip-hop, rock, and just old stuff. I say that's being well-rounded, my husband just laughs and tells me to stop changing the damn station on the radio so much!

1 comment:

formerteacher said...

Thanks, Sandi!
I know that I screwed up some of the lyrics to that song, but the general message is what I hoped ot get across.
Glad you liked my entry!
Bev