Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Proof That I'm Been Married With Children

Yesterday I received flowers from my husband. For Valentine's Day. Two days before Valentine's Day. And I am fine with it, really. Actually I am more than fine with it; I was going to suggest it. Can you believe they are charging $20 more to deliver the same flowers on Valentine's Day? Yes, I know florists are out to make money, and V-Day is a big money maker for them, but doesn't $20 seem a bit excessive?

As for the holiday itself, I have leftovers prepared. Sounds exciting, eh?! After dinner we usually exchange a small gift to each other. This year I actually did buy him something! He loves swedish fish, so I bought him some good ones from Fannie May, as well as a video he's wanted. I also reserved our wonderful babysitter for Saturday night, so if it ever decides to stop snowing and blowing snow around, then we'll get to have dinner together. I tell you, I appreciate going out to dinner so much more now that we have the kids. I love that Hubby and I get to have an uninterrupted dinner, and that I have no one's food to cut but my own! Lately though, I'm running out of things to talk about when we're out. I try to abide by the 'no talk regarding the kids' rule while we're out so we can foster our relationship because the kids will leave us some day and we better have a part of our relationship that doesn't involve them or we'll just be two old people staring at the wall because there is nothing to say, but if I don't talk about the kids at all then there's about a half hour of dead silence. Are any of you able to go out and not talk about the kids once? If so, what's your secret? How do you do it?

Speaking of our amazing offspring, if we do not get out of this house soon I think we're all going to, well let's just say the term 'cabin fever' is not extreme enough. I love my kids with all my heart and soul, honestly I do. In fact, 5 years ago today I found out officially that I was pregnant with my oldest, and I can't describe adequately how excited I was. However, after spending so much time together, in the same house, I think it's safe to say that we need some time apart. Poor S. was bummed about preschool being cancelled because today was the Valentine's Day party, and he was bringing the snack! We even painted his Valentine's, and he wrote his name by himself on the back of every one. And his mother, me, even had the foresight to buy each teacher a chocolate heart from Fannie May that is on a lollipop with a bow. They're really cute. I also found the perfect shirt for a 4 year-old boy to wear on Valentine's Day. So, okay, I was more than a little bummed that S. didn't get to go to preschool. I think I'm becoming one of those moms. Even Hubby made a joke about it. Yah, I think spring better come soon, or I'll need to find a job!

No comments: