Thursday, February 01, 2007

It's Good to Have a Speech Pathologist As a Friend

You all know that I have been sweating a bit recently as my child does not appear to want to talk anytime soon. I guess I have to understand that he is a man-in-training after all. Seriously, though, the more I have been thinking about Tot's lack of saying anything comprehendable, the more anxious I get. I think part of that is the teacher in me. I have worked with children of all ability levels, meaning I have seen it all. Being me, I can't think about the best case scenerio. Oh, no. I have to think about the worst.

In Tot's tumbling class, there is a woman who is a speech pathologist. Over the course of 4 months, we have become friends. We've exchanges phone numbers, and met to have food with our little darlings. Because I really like her, I want to respect that while we are out, she may not want to talk about her job. Well, I broke my rule about not discussing work while having fun with the kiddos, and she was wonderful about it. She said that it really could be nothing, but she is going to bring me some materials to try with the Tot, who is having a drop to the floor tantrum right now, but since he can't talk at least I'm not hearing him yell. Anyway, she also said that many times kids, including her son, basically want the easy way out. If they get what they want without talking, then why bother. That's my son, I believe. She told me to say things such as, "Tot, do you want your milk?", and to tell him he has to say something close to 'yes'. Since he has said 'yes-yah' before, we know he can do it. You know, have him have to respond to get what he wants. Oh, it's been going swimmingly, NOT, I tell you! We have had marginal success, though, which is better than where we were.

She also told me to keep an eye on his speech over the next few months. If we don't see much improvement it would be worth having him tested as this would qualify as early intervention, under age 3, and would be free to do. Once he turns 3, we would have to pay. I think this is a good plan, and I am always willing to do something possibly beneficial if the government is paying. Wait a minute, I paid for that program in my taxes, so it's really not free, but you get the idea. Why wait until age three, when I'll end up having to hire a private speech therapist? So, currently I am willing my son to please freakin' talk so I don't have to worry about him being mute for the rest of his life. I know the boy can talk, he's done it before, I just don't know why he won't now. I tell ya', worrying is part of being a mom. There is always something to worry about with your kids. Good thing I love them so much!

2 comments:

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

You will do the right thing and I"m so glad your friend is in a profession where she can help you.
Anything can help. You don't want to be the one whose child get's left behind.

My nephew is "LEGALLY" deaf, they didn't find it until he was 3,4 or 5. He's got bad parents. What a mess he is and his family. He probably could have had early intervnetion and things would have been better. Now, he's in middle school and they 'deal' with it. The state resources are great where they live.

Speaking of taxes, why do I keep paying for private school and letting our freaking state off the hook for my daughters education. I am paying for next years enrollment fee this next week.

Money in money out.... We pay taxes too for these shitty schools here in NC. Do I want my daughter reading at a 3rd grade level at 6. Or being patronized by the public school because she's so smart and there's no intervention programs for smart kids.

I'm done complaining. I have a circus to go to.

JT

formerteacher said...

Thanks everyone! Jen, yep. I don't want Tot to fall behind so we will definitely be keeping an eye on him.
Woman WOnders---Yah, I agree with you about wanting others to understand your son at preschool! I want the same for mine.
Teachermom--I will keep you posted as to what further information I get that may be useful. I tell you, these kids always keep us on our toes!