Thursday, March 01, 2007

Not Very Smart

Today I went to renew my driver's license. After waiting, I presented all the information requested, and was promptly turned down. Why? The state of Illinois now is connected to the social security administration's website, so when they entered my social security number it didn't match up with the name that I have on my current driver's license. Nope, I never legally changed my name, however my married name is on everything as in my current driver's license, credit cards, mortage, etc.... Nearly nine years ago I simply brought in my marriage license and they asked how I would like my name to read on my license. End of story. It's been nine years and two driver's licenses later, and suddenly now it's a problem! I've been told I could either change my name at the social security office, I will not be able to get an appointment in time, or I could yet again bring in my marriage license. Which I have already done. Nine flippin' years ago! I know I should have changed my name already, yes I know that, but why all of a sudden is the state of Illinois changing its rules, and why weren't they connected to the social security admin. back in 1998? I mean there were computers available way back then! Tomorrow I will be back at the DMV with my marriage license, and I can only pray they accept it. I can't even imagine not having a driver's license and having two kids.

3 comments:

Jen Taurus said...

It's the new patriot act thing that requires special handling now. They even have a provision in there about Meth that stuff people by claritin d to make.

HEre, you have to give the pharmacist your license to purchase claritin d, it's awful.
This stranger (store employee) knows all your personal/confidental information because of some stupid people making meth. The goverment always makes it difficult for 'rule follower's.

JT

And no, I don't really want another kid, but it's got me torn emotionally at some levels.

MB said...

Two words: Homeland Security. New regulations that started this year... Do you feel safer?

Jen Taurus said...

Yeah I feel real safe. I cannot make meth either because if I buy Claritin D for my sinus I have to go through the inquisiting and sign off and give the fat ass pharmacist my id. That's an invasion of my privacy.