Friday, March 30, 2007

Days Like These

This week the weather has been nice. It seems like spring has come to the midwest and we are all very happy about it. The beginning of the week was particularly balmy, and the sun was shining brightly. The kids and I couldn't wait to go outside and enjoy ourselves. It's days like these when I look back and reflect on all that I have. In five years I have everything that I have ever dreamed of, within reason. I remember the heartbreak I felt when I realized that having children was not going to be easy for us. There were many times I thought that maybe we weren't going to have any. That thought devastated me. Since I was a little girl, I had always dreamed about having a family. I couldn't believe that maybe that wasn't going to happen for me after all. I didn't understand why we weren't getting pregnant. My husband was going to be the best dad, I knew it! (And he is. Oh how he is!) I knew I'd make a good mom. (I think I am.) It just seemed so unfair. I felt so alone. Betrayed by my own body. Wondering why God didn't want us to have children. Being so angry at him, at everything and everyone.

And just six years later, I not only have one healthy child, but two. Two little blondies. Two beautiful boys who, although they frustrate me at times, couldn't make me any happier than I already am. I am able to be home with them and see them grow each day. It's true that I long to be at work some days, but I know I would have missed so much. Too much. Days like these. Days when the breezes blow warm air in our faces. When the laughter is loud, and the mood is light. Days when my boys give me unsolicitated hugs and kisses. Days when they actually want me to play with them. Days when my husband pulls in the driveway and the kids shout,"Daddy's home!", and we all go inside and talk about our day over dinner. Then it's back outside to play and talk with the neighbors. Days like these are the days we'll never forget.

Below are some pictures I've been meaning to post, but haven't. Below the picture, I've included what it's about.

The Tot sitting still in his chair. Note the burpcloth in his hand. It is his 'blankie'. He takes it everywhere!

Can you tell, based on what he's wearing, that I am having a tough time letting go of the Tot's babyhood???


Brotherly love!



My little baker. S. LOVES to bake! He's really good at mixing the batter, so I let him pull up a chair and stir.





S. loves to pretend he's reading. He now reads to his brother who doesn't know the difference.

And the newest addition to our home...S.'s Morning Routine Chart. He needed a little 'help' getting ready quicker. Yah, I borrowed the idea of a chart from the Supernanny. So far, so good.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, isn't spring great? Glad you've been having a good week. I like the chart idea.