Friday, April 06, 2007

Am I the Only One?

Last weekend Hubby and I had the rare treat of a dinner out sans kids. I was really looking forward to having an uninterrupted conversation with my husband which is very hard to do with the kids in tow.

The restaurant we chose had a lot of families dining in it. Our dinner was spent listening to other people's children scream, and watching one particular father look at the child's mother and shrug his shoulders, and hand said child back to her. Hubby was pissed because he said it is fathers like those that make all fathers look bad. And the night didn't get much better. To be honest, if that kid wouldn't have screamed, I don't know what we would have talked about that evening. We are so boring. The only thing that got my Hubby interested in a conversation was asking him specific questions about work. His work. When we go out, I try very hard not to talk about the kids. We need to have more in common. We used to. We used to talk about sports, art, history, and the like. Now, who has the time to go to museums, galleries or read a thick historical book?

To be fair, we were both tired. Sleep is a rare commodity around here. Let me clarify that. Enough sleep is a rare commodity. Plus, since it was warm out, Hubby decided to tear down all of our bushes on the side of the house. Yah. I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that others are at a lack for conversation when they go out with their husbands.

Tonight we are going out to dinner, just Hubby and me. I am actually thinking about having a list of topics thought up so there won't be that 'lull' in our conversation. Just think, only16 more years until the boys are out of the house. Only 16 years to come up with something besides the boys to talk about, or else I guess we'll be two old people just staring at the wall.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way are you alone on this one! If Ken and I actually went out once in a while without the girls, I'm sure we would be grasping at straws for conversation! I don't really want to hear him talk about work, especially since he works from home now and I tend to get tidbits throughout the day about his job. I hope you and your husband choose a restaurant without screaming kids so you can at least attempt some adult conversation. Sometimes when we are alone, Ken has initiated a goals discussion. We each come up with personal, family and career goals. Mine are usually house-related---get the exterior trim painted, work on landscaping, etc. Anyway, there's LOTS to talk about and it definitely helps you see that you have common goals, and some not-so-common ones.

Unknown said...

LOL (sadly b/c I can relate) at Colleen. We never go out alone...I mean our last date, Real Date, was in September. I know it sounds fake/rehearsed but coming up with some questions (that come to you over time...) and saving them for when you go out (assuming they aren't things like, "Where's that fire extinguisher?") isn't a half bad idea.

Otherwise I'm sure you can always count on other people's kids to talk about...

OK...I'm dying at the whores in preschool post too...

imperiowoman said...

You are not alone on this, my hubby and I have nothing to talk about either unless we talk about his screwed up family, his work, or baseball. the latter of the two don't interest me much, his family makes me feel sane! I think it will get better once the kids get to be more self sufficient and every thing is not always about there needs. Hang in there!

J

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

I keep posting and it won't save.

I give up.

formerteacher said...

Thanks everyone! Glad this isn't just me. On Friday, we did a tiny bit better. Imperiowoman, we talked about his work AND the nutty ILs! Bonus, don't ya' think!