Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The First R...

S. has wanted to read for the longest time, and I have finally gotten along to teaching him. He's known his letters for a long time, and now we are working on their sounds. It's taking some time, and he seemed to think that he was going to be able to read a book in only a day's time! I give him a lot of credit, though, because the boy doesn't give up. We have been working for over an hour every day. Now that may not seem like a lot, but trust me, it is. To continually go over letter sounds that he's forgotten, and then sounding out words. Wow. I'm proud of the boy, I am, but man can it get boring! And the thing is when I get bored, I'm figuring he is too. I'm figuring he's going to be ready to call it quits for the day, but he rarely is. So, I'm sure that he'll be asking to read again during Tot's nap tomorrow. And that's okay.

Did I also mention how obsessed S. is with numbers. Yep. He found my old calculator from my work days, and has been attached to it ever since. When we were at my brother's house Saturday and I couldn't find the bugger, my dad found him with three calculators in front of him. He was in heaven! I'm pretty sure I made the right decision enrolling him in his preschool's extended program next year! He'll go from 9AM-2PM three days a week. He'll be challenged, which he needs. And maybe next year he'll be able to read. No pressure, though. I've never pressured him to do anything more than he's ready to do. No matter what, I love that boy more than I can describe in mere words. My first baby boy. My buddy. My everything.

3 comments:

Jen Taurus said...

This is awsome. Although I'm a hopeful teacher, I admit to knowing nothing about reading nor how to teach it. Princess learned through phonetics and it worked really well for her. Guess what, spelling comes next. She wrote her firends name Stepunee, because that's how the phonetics sound, the real spelling is stephanie.

My daughter said should could spell it that way because it was her play name. Anyways, it builds and get's better and better. I wish I had half of what you have. Thank god we have an awsome kindergarten program. I am more interested in her schools reading program then the spirital advising they give.

Gosh, I could go for a wendys burger its 3:45 am here. My lunestra quits working quickly each night.

Teachermom said...

Yay you for working with S on his reading! Since I really don't have much elem. experience, I am probably not so good on the reading teaching part...I may be in trouble when it comes time for M to learn!

I am cracking up about thge calcs, because K recently discovered them,t oo. She knows how to add w/them, and at dinner the other night we played, "I get it Right and You Take a Bite" where she quizzed us on our addition facts with her calculator, and if we were right she had to take a bite of food. Luckily she hasn't moved out of double-digit numbers yet - ha ha!

Mary Ellen and Steve said...

It's great that he is so into reading and numbers, and good for you for having the patience to sit down and teach him!