Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Semi-Charmed Life

I think this is the longest I've gone without posting. All is well here; I finally got some sleep. Oh, and Hubby came back from his business trip to Hong freakin' Kong. Yah, it was good times around here! Seriously, I do not know how single moms do it. I just don't.

Now Hubby has traveled overseas for almost our whole marriage, so I don't know why this particular trip was so hard for me, but it was. I missed the man like crazy! I think part of that was because we both were so busy the week before he even left, so it felt like we hadn't spent any time together before the car picked him up to take him to the airport. I also wasn't thrilled about him leaving on a weekend. Yep, I had to try to entertain two children for an entire weekend by myself. How did I do this, you ask? Oh, I thought getting Tot's two- year picture taken would be a good idea on a Saturday! You'd think I must've been on crack when I made that decision, wouldn't you! It was hell! I've decided that I am no longer getting the kids' pictures taken alone, which probably means we won't have many pictures of the boys from this point on. Anyway, the next day went better, but that night my brother's power went out and it was hot, hot, hot outside. After two hours of frying and lovely Com. Ed having no information about when it might be turned back on, they came over to my house. All five of them. They slept on the couches and floor. I mean what could I do? I couldn't let them swelter in their house while my brood and I were all chilly willy and such. I just don't do well with chaos. And remember I wasn't sleeping. And my husband was 15 hours away!

I kept telling myself all week what a charmed life I live. That I should be grateful that I have such an awesome husband who obviously does more than I give him credit for around here. Then it hit me. I do need my husband. Please don't roll your eyes and think, of course you do, you idiot! Ever since I can remember I've had this feminist-type of attitude. I don't need a man I just enjoy men; I just like to have 'em around. I will support myself, do everything myself so I never have to depend on anyone. The old 'a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle' kind of thing. Usually when Hubby comes home from one of these trips he finds something has been altered in or outside of our home. One year it was planting rosebushes and daylilies oh my! Another it was painting and putting in a new floor in our sub-basement so that S. would have a playroom. Last year it was painting everything else in the basement and hanging new curtains and such. This year I decided to say fuck it. I can't do everything myself. We were not put on this earth to go it alone. It's okay to need help. It's okay to admit it and ask for it. It's okay to rely on your husband, or to admit to yourself that already do. So there it is. And it only took me 30+ years to figure that out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bev...so glad that hubby made it back safe and sound. I know first hand how difficult being a single mom (albeit temporarily, all the time) can be.

Sandi P.

Tanya said...

I am glad your husband is home again. Safe and sound. I HATE it when dh travels. Well, I like it for a day or two.LOL- Then I want him to come home. I think it is even harder when they are out of the country.

Teachermom said...

Hey! Glad you all survived J's trip. :)

formerteacher said...

Thanks everyone. I'm glad he's back too, but I also agree with rockin'mom. For the first day or two it's actually pretty nice. After that, I want him HOME!