Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Difference in Opinion

This past weekend, the protesters were back at it at our Planned Parenthood Express; they don't perform abortion services that's why they are considered an 'express'. What usually bothers me about these particular protesters is the graphic signs they carry. Oh, and I can't stand how they have their children standing there with them seeing those signs for hours. But what bothers me most is that MY children have to witness these signs. I'm telling you, they are scary! I respect every person's right to make their own choices and develop their own opinions on this matter. I really do. This is America, and that right is protected under the law. I respect that. However, I do not approve of the yelling, the name-calling, and the trying to block the entrance to these clinics. Why aren't these womens' rights important?

Have your opinion on abortion. That's fine. However, abortions are only a small percentage of the services Planned Parenthood provides. Did you know they provide adoption placement, mammograms, prenatal care, STD testing and treatments as well as birth control and many other services? It's hard for me to understand why these same people are upset about birth control being provided. I mean, what century is this? I thought that had been worked out. I seriously thought most of the protesters were there because of abortions. Turns out I was not correct. The services that PP provides actually prevents more abortions from being performed. Also, a lot of these clinic are in disadvantaged, poor communities where most of these women do not have health insurance and otherwise could not afford these much needed services. I mean we all know how important prenatal care is, as well as mammograms. I can't tell you what would have happened if my mother didn't have insurance that payed for her mammograms. I suspect she would have died in a year or less. Why, oh, why would anyone want a PP clinic to be shut down? Where would these people go?

As I've said before, everyone has a right to their opinion, but don't force yours down my throat. Don't try to take away MY rights. We fought hard for womens' rights. We fought hard to be able to have birth control options. We have fought hard to be treated almost as equally as men are. Don't take that all away based on abortions preformed at PP. By the way, the World Health Organization has found that abortion rates do not decrease when it is deemed illegal by a country. Go ahead and read these blogs if you're interested in finding out more: ppaurora.blogspot.com and iamemilyx.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

Kate said...

While I personally cannot imagine a situation where I would choose to have an abortion, far be it for me to decide for someone else!

There was a teeny, tiny PP by our old house in Provo, but you'd never know it by driving by. I dare say the vast majority of people in the city (county?!) don't even realize it exists.

During my first marriage, PP was the only place I could afford the Pill and check ups since we didn't have health insurance.

(Did you know that the majority of the signs the protesters carry aren't even real? They're usually digitally manipulated. That's what makes it even more disgusting to me. They're not even accurate.)

I guess I'm pro-life for myself, pro-choice for every one else. Even the Mormon church recognizes the need for safe abortions (incest, endangering the mother's health, rape), but you wouldn't know it based on the fact that abortion is illegal in the state of Utah.

My thought is that abortions are going to happen no matter what- why not make them safe rather than going back to the days of back alley abortions that killed women.

The vehement pro-lifers at PP haven't quite grasped the concept of "your rights end where mine begin."