Friday, November 09, 2007

How To Make Someone Uncomfortable

Two days ago, a close co-worker of Hubby's, husband died. Did you follow that? Anyway, we plan on going to the wake. I looked in my closet for my 'wake/funeral' outfit. As I did I remembered how I had bought it for my mom's funeral. I remember going into Petite Sophisticate with Hubby and my, at the time, six-month old son. A salesperson came up to us and asked if I needed help. Since I didn't have the energy to look at the whole store, I told her that yes, I could use her help. She then asked me what I was looking for. I told her that I was looking for a suit to wear to my mother's wake and funeral. I bet she was happy she asked if I needed help! She gave me this look like she didn't know what to say. I did end up finding what I needed, and I am sure the salesperson was so glad when I left. I think that was the most uncomfortable I have made anyone feel. I think knowing that was the only thing that made me laugh for weeks to come. I mean, how would you feel if someone came up to you needing help to find an outfit to wear to their dead mother's funeral? I'm certain I ruined her day!

4 comments:

Brandy said...

I did something mildly similar to someone following my father's death. My father passed away on a Friday night and of course we had to make the arrangements the next day. We were on the way there and I had to stop by Planned Parenthood to pick up my pills. I had completely forgotten that I needed to make an appt for my yearly appt and they argued and not giving me my pills. The girl said something like "I need you to make an appt right now before I can give you your pills." I looked her right in the eye and said "I don't have my calendar, I have no idea when I can come in, and I'm on the way to make arrangements for my father's funeral, can I call you to set up an appt?" She fell all over herself trying to get my pills and get me OUT OF THERE. Ugh. The things we deal with.

Oh and thank you so much for the comment and advice. I really appreciate it, more than I can tell you.

only_female_in_my_house said...

Hey Bev -- long time no talk to (or since I've left a comment)...but I've lost your email address, can you email it to me, please? mspodskoc@cox.net

Thanks!
Sandi P.

Jen Taurus said...

I wore a jean skirt and sweater to my mom funeral and sandels. I was freezing. I was so in teh zone when my mom died I didn't know how to function.

The funniest thing, my daughter wore these adorable pj's to my moms funeral. I thought itwas a summer outfit and then after the funeral my sister told me they were very fancy pj's. I almost died myself. Ha.

Death makes peopel extremely uncomfortable. It was awful last year when my sister lost her husband. I don't even remember what I wore either. Not that it mattered.

Anonymous said...

I think I did the same thing shopping for my Mom's funeral... I remember how irritating that trip was. Couldn't find a thing and I was very difficult to help. ;)