Saturday, May 24, 2008

Jinxed

The other day my friends and I took our children to lunch at one of our favorite places, P*rtilos. It's perfect because it has just the right amount of noise to cover up any whining or screaming that may come from our table, as well as good food that is fast. All of you with children know that there is only a certain amount of time kids will wait for food. When Hubby and I take the kids out for dinner, we almost always order right away. That way we get more time to actually eat our food. But I digress.

The kids did amazingly, and we all enjoyed some time together. We all bid farewell to each other, and went to our cars. I always praise my kids when they've done well, I can't forget all the 'positive reinforcement' stuff from when I was a teacher. So I belted them in, and told them how well that had down and how proud I was of them. I then got in the car myself, and turned on one of my Cd's. I turned around and looked and looked and looked behind me. That parking has always been an accident waiting to happen. I swear I did not see anyone backing out, so I started to back out of my space. Then I hear that awful sound....crunch, boom. I pulled my car up and heard my kids asking what had happened. I prayed the other car looked fine, and that was it. Nope, of course not. The older man and I got out of our cars, and I was so upset, replying,"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." I had assumed I was at fault. This man was so nice, luckily. He had buffed out most of the damage on his car, and then came over to do the same to mine. He told me that it looked worse than it was. Yeah, on his car. He only had a small sedan, and his car had a minor scratch on its bumper, while my van, on its left corner bumper, is scraped up to the plastic. UGH! I had to use my cell to call 911 to have an officer come, which took 30 minutes. Thirty uncomfortable minutes. When he did come, he filed an incident report where stupid me said I backed into the guy. The policeman told us to try to settle it between ourselves, and if we can't do that to call our insurance companies. Gee, thanks Mr. Policeman. I never would've thought of that! The guy said he was going to call he insurance company, but wasn't going to file a claim since it was an older car, and not much damage at all, and already has scratches on it. I also called my insurance company and told them this and that it was my fault.

Later, the more I was thinking about it, the more I thought it was both of our faults. We had backed into each other. I drew a diagram, which I believe proved it. We were both in the middle backing out. Hubby immediately said the same even though I hadn't told him what I believed. I pray that this man doesn't file a claim, because like he said, it'll cost $1500 to fix a little scratch. I also am not having my van fixed.
What really upsets me is that I have never been in an accident. I even said that to my friend last week, and she told me not to say it because I was jinxing myself. Should've listened. See I never should have even said anything about the woman who almost hit us last week. I totally jinxed myself.
When Hubby called, what do you think was the first thing S. said? "Daddy, Mommy got in an accident." Lovely, eh?

5 comments:

david santos said...

I loved this post and this blog.
Have a nice weekend.

Jen Taurus said...

It's unfortunate what has happened. Did they guy take any blame for the accident? I hope things work out without the insurance being involved.

I know when I was hit by the deer my car was smashed pretty good (it still is). I followed the rule based on mixed info. I still have my cell phone but it's with Metro's area code, not smallville. Anyways, I'm glad no one is hurt, a bump to the car is dealable. You can check with a junk yard for the part if your going to selfpay.

Good Nigh and have a great weekend even though it's almost over.

I wish I could come there and help you, I really do!!!

Teachermom said...

Aw man, that stinks! It is no fun getting in a wreck, ever.

I backed into someone about 6 yrs. ago on our street. There was no damage on our truck, but of course I did $1200 worth to the little car I hit. I ended up using ins. to pay for it, and with the way my rates went up I realized (too late) that I should have just paid out of pocket. Just 2 cents that you didn't ask for...if you don't have to involve the ins., don't.

I'm glad nobody was hurt. I guess it's a good thing the boys were being so good that day...can you imagine if they were having on of *those* days and then this happened on top of everything else?!

Hang in there, chica.

Brandy said...

Glad to hear all is okay after the accident. I've done the exact same thing and it really sucks. I did it in my work parking lot, while looking in the rearview mirror! Somehow we were both in each other's blind spots and hit each other in the exact same place on our vehicles. It was about 5 years ago and I still have the dent in my bumper. I didn't want to mess with insurance and neither did he. And in the state we live in it would have probably been considered "no fault" and we would have had to use our own insurance companies, which would have just raised my rates. I just live with a dent and go on. :-)

I do hope this is your one and only accident though!

Kate said...

Doh! Accidents suck. I hadn't been in one for several years, and then I was in three minor (weather-related) accidents within a matter of 4 months last fall. And then someone rear-ended our "nice" car causing major damage. I feel your pain.