Monday, May 08, 2006

My Mother's Hero


When I was younger, I was not very close to my father. He was very into sports, and let's just say that I was not. My mom said he just didn't know what to do with me once I got past a certain age. We did have a strong love for animals in common, which was our bond. My mom used to say that we were too much alike, and that was why we often clashed. We are/were very stubborn with strong tempers. Both of our tempers have since cooled I am happy to say! I was also a mama's girl through and through.

Even as an adult, when I would call my parents' house, my dad and I would talk for a moment and then he would hand the phone to my mom. That's just the way it was. Hubby said he rarely saw us have a long conversation. It wasn't because we didn't love each other; we just didn't have much in common. Besides, with my mom and I being so close, it would have been hard for anyone else to have gotten close to me.

When my mom got sick, my dad rose to the occasion. He never let her down. He went to every chemo. appointment, and virtually every radiation appointment. I went to a few of those with my mom, and he really wanted to be the one who took her. I think he felt good about making sure she was taken care of.

As my mom got very ill, and she needed someone with her at all times, we got closer. And after she passed, we got very close. I felt awe at my father's ability to always put my mother's needs first. I mean the man never slept! How he did it I will never know, but I will be grateful to him until the day I die.

My dad had a bad childhood. So many people use that as an excuse to be mad at the world, or as the answer to why they never made something of themselves. Not my dad. He will tell you that it was my mom who saved him, and that is partially true. But he wanted better, so he did better. It was hard, and there are so many things about my childhood that I now understand. Watching hubby go through a similar situation really brings it into perspective just how hard my dad had to work to make sure he was a better parent and a better husband. But what ultimately gave me great respect for him was how he took care of my mom in her final years. He was dedicated to her, and misses her greatly as we all do. So thank you dad, for being our mother's hero, which in turn, made you mine.

(My dad always was a 'fitness junkie', and this is why I wish to share with you the picture of him with my boys. It was taken last summer.)

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Beautiful post. Tears are flowing.