Tuesday, October 24, 2006

If I'm This Hot Now, What Will Happen When I Hit Menopause?

I am always hot. Prior to babies and infertility drugs, I was ALWAYS cold. Hubby and I were constantly at odds over what temperature to set on our thermostat. I wanted it warmer, he wanted it colder. Never the two shall meet, or something like that. Then a phenomenon happened, I got pregnant. Ever since that fateful day, January 30 or 31st, 2002, I have been broiling! I must admit that being hot is better than being cold any day, especially since I live in the Midwest. Especially because I live in the Midwest THIS fall! Damn is it cold here lately!

This morning after I dropped S. off at preschool with his birthday snacks, I went inside our local White Hen Pantry to get a coke. Tot loves going in this store. I swear people were looking at me funny as I strolled in with my toddler son all bundled up, whereas I was dressed in a v-neck shirt with no coat to speak of. I'm not lazy, I'm just hot! It felt good getting out of the car and feeling the cold air. Has anyone else experienced this after having children???? I am beginning to worry, though. If this is how I feel in my early 30's, what the hell is menopause going to be like for me? I will tell you this much, I will not be retiring to Florida!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't want to freak you out, but my SIL is 34 and is in the early stages of menopause! Her mother and sister were both even earlier than that. I'm sure that's all you would want to add to your pills you have to take--hormone replacements!

Snoopyfan said...

Everyone thinks I am crazy when I say the same thing! Since I had my daughter 3.5 years ago I am always hot. I just had my son 3 months ago and am still sweltering. This cold Chicago weather has felt good to me! :)

formerteacher said...

Well, the one good thing about having to be home with a sick kid is having time to read my e-mail!
Colleen, do NOT utter the M word:( I don't know when my mom went into menopause due to her hysterectomy at 29, but her mother was in her 50's. Hopefully, I'll follow suit!

Thanks Chris! So glad to know I'm not alone in this heatwave!Hormones sure do a number on us women!

Kate said...

I'm with you. I've been an OVEN since I got pregnant with Brody.

When I was in the hospital before I had him- October, November, December- I'd turn the air conditioning all the way down to 60... and I'd STILL be sweating.

I'm always roasting!

Anonymous said...

I had to reply again--Today after Lauren's swim class, we were walking out with one of the girls from her class, the girls' brother and sister. The mother had no coat and the kids had sweatshirts on (the girl's hair was still wet!). She laughed and said that she was probably getting funny looks for not wearing a coat when it was probably cold (44 freaking degrees!), but she's never cold. She said she should probably check the temperature next time for the kids' sake. Nah! Ya think?? I'm sure YOU make sure your kids are appropriately dressed even if you're sweating and it's cold outside!

formerteacher said...

Yes, Colleen I sure do! I don't want to sound mean here, but how hard is it to think that 'hey my kid's hair is wet and it's 44 degrees, maybe I should make them wear a coat?!' Actually, there are times I worry the kids are overdressed.
Kate, glad to hear that I am not the only one that lives in a sauna-like state! It has got to be the hormones!