Friday, October 06, 2006

What a Husband Shouldn't Say

Well, what MY husband sholdn't have said today. Ah, what a fine late afternoon it was. It only got better as I heard the phone ring BEFORE 4:30PM, and then I saw my husband's cell phone number. I thought to myself, 'Hubby is going to be home early! This is so awesome! The Tot has a cold, and I tried some new cold medicine which made him hyper so he didn't nap. And S. wouldn't nap. Geez, am I tired and I DO NOT want to play the Duck, Duck Goose board game again!!! BUT HUBBY IS GOING TO HOME EARLY! EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE FINE NOW!!!' Then I picked up the phone to learn that he was on his way to a bar to help congratulate his boss on some deal that finally went through. Yes, a BAR. ON A FRIDAY when I have been home with a sick baby, and a nap-less preschooler who is losing it. He said that he would only stay 10 minutes. Yah, right!

At 5:00 he calls to say he is leaving a bit late, but he's in the car. Only an hour until he gets home. I say I wish that I could go to a bar after work. Then I say, "it's 5:00, I thought you were leaving 15 minutes ago." Remember, sick kid and both kids are nap-less. Hang up phone. Decide that a little fresh air is in order. Tell kids we are going on a walk. They are happy. Get out new stroller from trunk and can't for the life of me get it open. Get the old, digusting, yet workable stroller out. Go on walk. Feeling bitter because if I want to go ANYWHERE, I have to get a sitter or make sure he's home. ANd half the time, I just bring the freakin' kids with.

I end up talking with a neighbor at the end of the block. SHe's in her fifties, and we just had a wonderful conversation. I even found out she had fertility problems; no, I did not tell her about mine. She just offered that up about why her kids are so close together. She also offered up about the resentment that built up in her after years of feeling taken for granted. She was a SAHM. SHe still has her husband and daughter asking what's for dinner, and depending on her for most things. What did she do? She decided to go from part-time work to full-time. Now, she says, they have to think for themselves because she's not there. Not a bad idea, eh? Definitely food for thought. I must have been talking to her for a long time, because out of the corner of my eye, I spot a silver mini-van pulling over. Hubby had worried I was cold, and went looking for me. (He knew we were taking a walk). WHatever the reason, he was being very nice. However, I am feeling taken for granted myself. I can't help but feel bitter here. And on the babysitter front, we thought we'd found one, I got excited, but it didn't happen. I'll elaborate next time.

3 comments:

Teachermom said...

Ack! I'm sorry!

Here's hoping you get out for a little 'me' time at some poitn this weekend.

...and that you're able to find a sitter soon.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to how you feel. At least your husband was nice when he came home.

I often feel like even when my husband is home, I'm still the one doing 98% of the parenting. I don't resent that he's gone all day. I know I could never get a job that could support the four of us. But still, I wish when he was home I didn't feel like I have to "ask" if I can do something while he watches the kids.

Jen Taurus said...

Go to the airport and get a flight to NC and come hang with me. Oh wait, I'm a working mom, thus I have no paid time off left this year. Shoot.

I wish I could swing by and help you out. I'm not good with boys but I'm good with toddlers. THey are so cute and juicy. I honestly feel like SAHM's get a bad rap.
You are esentially the go to person for everything. I couldn't nor would I want to do it. I guess I might be selfish.

Dh's cousin is a SAHM and she was telling me one of her neighbors sent their kid over to her house and next thing she knew the mom was flying down the street in the minivan. MR Cousin went over to inform the family that his wife was home for his kids and not anyone elses. I can see where people become insensitive, especially when she complains about getting a new car and is so privlidged.

I hope your doing better.

JT