Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Finding Myself in the White City

This past Saturday was my hubby's work party. This year the party was held at the Museum of Science and Industry in downtown. Unfortunately, the Auto Show was going on at McCormick Place, so traffic was a bit heavy, but we made it on time. I promise to make this history lesson short. The Museum of Science and Industry is the only original building left over from The World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. All of the buildings were yes, white, and it was a testimont to new inventions and cultures. The Museum that we were at was used to hold the art that was flown in from all over the world. The building lay in disrepair until it was determined that it would be rehabbed and now it houses inventions and testimonts of the advances made in the world. Now these buildings from the Exposition were never made to last, so it's pretty cool to see one that did. For any of you readers of history, there is a book called, Devil in the White City that is supposed to be very good. I, however, have not read it. I should, yah, in my spare time.

At any rate, I had so much fun at this party. I have always wanted to attend a party at one of the museums. We have been there several times as the parties were being set up, and loving museums and all, I thought it would be loads of fun to be at one. Also, being in the museum after hours... I know, strange thought. Hubby actually said to me that we needed to take the boys to the overnight party at the Field Museum. Now THAT I won't be doing. I told him that he could take the boys. Now that I think about it, maybe that would be fun. Who knows?

For once I actually wore the right thing and hadn't obsessed about it beforehand, so that was good. I always laugh at these parties because you can always tell the women who are married to wealthy men. It always involves fur, and although I don't go as far as PETA does, I LOVE me steaks and leather bags, but I hate fur coats. I would never yell at someone who was wearing one nor would I throw red paint on them or don my naked body, but I just don't like it. Anyway, we got a private viewing of the U-505 submarine. This is the sub. that we captured from the Germans during WW2. They renovated the sub. since some genius thought leaving a metal submarine outside for the past 40+ years would be a good idea. It wasn't. The exhibit was awesome! The overhead lights were turned off and just the lower, cocktail-like, lights were on. There were waiters with appetizers and wine, which I immediately grabbed, these events always make me a bit nervous, walking all around. Then we ate dinner in the main atrium, and it was so good. Hubby's new boss was at our table, and I really like him, very personable. He also went through infertility treatments to have his three children. Yah, twins who are now 11 years old and another sibling. I also knew and liked everyone else at our table. I talked to the women, and not just talk about the kids. I made a huge effort to find something else to talk about. You know, I am not just a mom. It is a good idea to 'get away' from time to time.

What made this evening so good to me was the feeling that I had. I felt like myself, the one before infertility and kids. I felt capable, I felt semi-interesting. I was wearing a dress and make-up and my hair was curled. Now I hate wearing dresses, and we were told we could wear a pant-suit, but no way! I never get dressed up. I wear pants to church and jeans on weekdays. I actually enjoyed wearing a dress. And thanks to the parking garage, I never had to go outside in the 2 degree weather. My dress was sleeveless, and I wasn't even cold, not even in that ancient building! I am always on the warm side and have been ever since S. was born. This makes me happy since I detest being cold.

On the way home, I looked at all of the tall buildings and I longed to stay in one of the fancy hotels like we used to do. I didn't want to go home. Usually, I alway look forward to getting home. Not that day. I wanted to spend a night with my husband, doing naughty things and sleeping in. I was okay leaving my children with someone overnight. Yes, my children have never spent a night away from one of us. If my mom were alive, believe me, we would have left them by now, but she's not so we haven't. My brother and SIL have offered several times, and I think we need to take them up on it.

It felt so good feeling like an adult, like a useful member of society. It still does. I have said that I am open to part-time employment if the right thing popped up. Last year I was still having problems leaving the kids with a non-family member. Not so much anymore! I do not want to work full-time for a long time, though. I do enjoy spending time with my boys, being 'Mommy'.

Of course, when we got home we had some 'adult fun', but the thing that made it great was just the closeless. I felt like we bonded again too. I felt like a couple, like 'us' again. Not just S. and tot's mom and dad. No food to prepare, no feeding of children, no changing of diapers or reminders to use the potty. Just time for the both of us. Being a work party and all forced us to get out and actually 'try' to look nice. The time together was so nice. J. let me sleep in until noon the next day. Yes, noon! It certainly felt like old-times and sometimes you need that. Now excuse me as I go and prepare my family's meal. I have a Vacation Bible School Leader meeting tonight at church and the children need to eat. A mother's job is never done.

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I absolutly LOVE going downtown. The buildings are so beautiful and just walking around and taking it in makes me happy. I love taking the kids to the Musemum of Science and Industry. It is my favoriet museum downtown. It sounds like you had a lovley time at the party and I am so glad to hear you fun with your dh.
The over night party sounds like so much fun. What was the date on that?

Tanya said...

UGh! SORRY about all the typos and spelling errors. I haven't had my coffee yet. *grumble*

Kate said...

I've only been to Chicago once, but I thought it was fabulous. Skyscrapers, the river, the shopping... *sigh*