Monday, February 27, 2006

At Least It Took 9 Months

Last week S. got a cold. He was a crab-ass; still is, but is a bit better. At least today he wanted mommy not daddy, which was good considering daddy went back to work. Anyway, he was kind enough to share it with tater tot and I. We are so grateful! This is the first cold the tot has gotten ever! It is kind-of ironic since tot has gone everywhere with me. He has had to go the church's nursery, tumbling class, stores etc. S., being the firstborn child of a former teacher and recovering-germaphobe, never left the house! Well, he did go to my mom's house, but that's about it. When he turned four months old, in March 03', hubby's company was having a 'Fat Tuesday' lunch where spouse's were invited. Hubby wanted very much to show off his firstborn in the flesh. I had recently been switched to my third and final drug for that bout of PPD, and I felt a bit better, so I felt I 'owed' it to him. We went, and you know the result already, don't you? Yah, S. got sick! So I just laugh when I think back to how sheltered S. was and he got sick earlier than the tot who has been exposed to everything.

The tot getting sick this late in his first year also confirms my belief that genetics have the most to do with when and how sick a baby gets. My brother's children were breastfed and then supplemented when my SIL went back to work. Both of my children were bottle-fed, as in formula. I know some of you probably are shuddering hearing that, but it's true. I am also not going to lie to you and tell you it was because I was taking anti-depressants, which I was, but I had never planned on breastfeeding. I am the only one of my friends not to. Anyway, my brother's kids and my kids are all healthy, as were my brother and I as well as our respective mates. My niece and nephew have airborne allergies, but both my brother and SIL have them, so I sure that's why they developed them.

I want to tell you I am not anti-breastfeeding. Quite the opposite. I feel like I do about SAHMs and working moms. You do what you feel is best for your family, and I will support you. Unfortunately, I have not been given that same consideration. When S. was 8 weeks old, a cousin of Jeff's asked what S. was eating. I told her formula. Her response,"Didn't you even try to breastfeed?" She was very judgemental. I kept explaining and explaining. Now I am completely comfortable in my choice as I have raised one healthy child, so I would have told her where to go now, but back then I was still a new mom who needed support and not judgement. I feel like calling this woman, but I won't because it just doesn't matter anymore. I just hope that all the new first-time moms just learn to trust themselves. If you are having a hard time breastfeeding, but you're determined to give it your all, DO IT. If you want to quit, it's okay. If you don't want to BF, don't just because people make you feel like a horrible mother if you don't. If you LOVE BF, my SIL has with every child, that is great. REALLY.

It has taken me 3 1/2 years and two children to feel completely comfortable telling people how I chose to feed my children. I don't hem and haw when asked why I chose it anymore. I tell it like it is. Most people are fine with this. And if they're not, too bad. Women need to be supported, not vilified. And if I see a woman pulling out a bottle of formula for a two month-old child during tumbling class, I won't gasp and ask, "Aren't you breastfeeding? Don't you know it's best for the baby?" I promise to defend that person as I wish someone would have done for me. Oh, the nasty glares I got that day, and I was struggling with PPD. Yah, judging me really helped! Oh, and if you pull up your shirt in public to feed your child, I will NOT be offended. I mean, come on, a woman is feeding her child! If you're uncomfortable, just look away. I have seen most of my friends and family members' nipples, and when they're being used to feed a baby, it's natural, not dirty. And now my rant is over....

1 comment:

Kate said...

You know what? Brody was bottlefed and he didn't get an ear infection until 10 months, and a cold at 14 months. My nieces, who were/are breastfed, are sick all.the.time. It's a crapshoot.