Thursday, February 10, 2005

A Boy and His Dog

I believe I have only mentioned having a crazy dog in my intro. Our dog is indeed crazy, and fits beautifully into our family. Our little pup's name is Madison, Maddy. She was named by my husband while we were honeymooning. No, we did not have her yet, hadn't even picked her out. We did know that we wanted a female Shih-Tzu.

We lived in an apartment in a historic town near the Burlington Northern train line when we first got married. Our apartment building was in-between two Victorian homes, and within walking distance of many restaurants, shops, and the train line. Jeff worked in downtown Chicago at the time, so this situation was ideal. This town personifies 'yuppy', and was even featured in the Sandra Bullock movie 'While You Were Sleeping'; think 'Home Alone'. I had my first teaching job in that area, and would watch all the kids being dropped off in their fancy cars. We never had a problem getting parents involved, in fact, they were too involved in my opinion. I still love this town. It is the 'ideal' place to raise your kids. You are very close to downtown, there are many unique stores to shop at right in town, and most things are within walking distance. There was many a time we'd meet friends at the local German pub. The cool thing was we could, and usually did, walk home. No need to worry about drinking too much and driving. We loved the area, but we knew we wanted a home when we got married.

Fast forward to the spring of 98'. We looked everywhere in that town, and surrounding towns, for a home to buy. Well, yuppieville was, and still is, very expensive. And while I would have loved an old home there, the maintenance was a killer. Anything that we could have comfortably afforded needed a lot of work done to it. I am not into that, especially while working full-time. We did find a house we could afford, but it only had ONE bathroom. Uh, no. One thing that appealed to me so much about leaving our beloved apartment was the fact that I would not have to share a bathroom with my loving, but messy husband anymore. So that one was out. It appeared we were going to have to look somewhere else.

Somewhere else is where we are living now. Our town has all the conveniences, but less of the charm of our old neighborhood. You have to drive pretty much everywhere. It does have excellent schools, programs, and our neighbors are awesome. The problem now is that this town is turning into our old neighborhood in that everything is becoming so expensive. Our neighbors have said they couldn't even afford to buy their own home anymore. The good thing is that means our house has appreciated fantastically especially since we remodeled the kitchen. The bad thing about it is that it is hard to find a house that is priced at the next level. One mom in our group told us all that a house in her area, more ritzy than ours, was going for $700,000. Yikes! Jeff and I would also like our kids to stay in an area that is like the one we grew up in. Right now we have that. The problem with our house is that there are only three bedrooms, two bathrooms. We now have to move our office to the utility room; the basement is Steve's playroom. If both babies had survived this pregnancy, we would have had to have moved. Even though my house is on the smaller side, I do love it. And I hate moving! So I am glad we are going to be able to stay, cramped as we may eventually be.

Well, back to the dog. We bought our little dog Maddy the day after we moved into our house. I LOVE animals and wanted to have one ASAP. We picked out our little beauty. She only weighed 2 pounds when we got her, and is now a whopping 8 pounds! Madison is a dog that has a tremendous amount of energy! She is calming down a bit now that she's 6 years old, but she's still a nut! Oh, but a nut that barely barks; no yappy dogs here.

Steve LOVES Maddy! He has to give her a hug and a kiss every morning. He constantly is talking about Maddy. Today the most amazing thing happened. To preface, one of Steve's 'jobs' has been to let Maddy out when needed and give her a treat. I have helped him with this for awhile. Well, today Maddy was doing the 'I have to go outside NOW' whine, so I said to Steve, while upstairs, "Go let Madison outside." He proceeds to go downstairs, open up the door, and yell,"MAH,MAH. GO OUTSIDE!" Now Maddy was very confused at first, and just kind-of looked at me as if to say,"Is he serious?" I told her to go on, and Steve yelled to her again. This time she listened. I quietly went downstairs and peeked over. Madison had gone out, come in, and now Steve was giving her a treat! I swear I saw a newfound respect for Steve in the dog's eyes. Steve was so proud of himself, and so was I. Madison has been an excellent fit to our family from day one. She's goofy, spunky, and surprisingly flexible. She also thinks she is a German Shepard, which is so cute. She has no idea that she is a very small dog; she's big on attitude. And she is so wonderful with Steve. She was our first baby for 4 years, and she really has done a great job letting Steve take on that title. Now let's just hope Steve is that good about giving that title to the newest baby.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bev,

we have so much in common, we used to have two male shih tzu's. Bentley and Barkley, bentley was the clean and proper dog, barkely was the messy loveable one. They were our babies.

When Chloe was born bentley was very jelous of her. When she was 6 months old we moved bentley to my brothers house in Ny. It was a wonderful change for Bentley. 6 months later Barkley moved there too. They are the kings and there's not small children up there to bother them. They have found their true home.

I miss having a pet. We had a cat before me moved, mostly because we had a mouse problem. I am glad to be rid of Nala. She just wasnt a family cat. She let Chloe sun screen her body down and spray her with fantastic. Crazy Stuff.

Dh is gonna be crabbing at me, I'm waiting for my ambien to kickin.
How long does it take, because I LOVE to sleep. Even without depression. I went tonight at work and go a haircut. I felt so good. I asked about highlights and the girl said your hair is jet black and naturally curly we should leave it alone. Last time she did highlights they came out yuckie brown and I looked like a punk rocker.

Bev what are we going to do. Were so funny, unique, and crazy in a non psychological contex. I hope your able to keep this blog after you have #2 because this is so great to talk to you. My therapist is dealing with my GUILT issues, I think you could dial in and we could do a three way on a session. I brings tears to my eyes. Can I ask you a question are you Catholic? I have southern baptist trying to convert me to everything, today a coworker with good intentions brought me a bible to read. I am curious but not enough to act.

I am thinking of picking back up and attending catholic church the north is so full of yankee catholics. It's really something I'm going to explore with an open mind. Chloe does need god parents though and the only candidates are my sister and her husband. I wouldn't mind christening them all together. This christiening this is so outdated and old. DO people still have parties for me.

Let me know what's up. I wnat to go to Old Navy tomorrow after work and spend a few bucks on myself. I need some fitting jeans. I have no backside and a fat front and I have alot of trouble keeping them up.

Goodnight!

Jen

I'll update my blog later. Send Steve to the church daycare. Take the time to clean or something.
I'm dying to come ot chicago based on the way you talk about it.
Love to go on oprahs show and shop/