Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Guilt

Today turned out to be good, although yesterday was great. Steve and I went to tumbling where several of my mom friends also go. We decided to go out to lunch, which was good since I tend to get very sleepy after tumbling. At least having lunch would keep me awake. We all had a nice lunch, and a very honest discussion about how hard motherhood can be. One mom has a five week old, and is feeling very overwhelmed. Did I mention she also has a son who is not yet two years old? The baby is colicky, and her toddler won't nap anymore. I felt very bad for her. She feels like a bad mom because she is becoming short-tempered with her son. I will tell you that she is a good mother. No different than any of us, I suspect. But us mothers tend to feel guilt about everything child-related. Being short-tempered to your spouse may make you feel bad, but it will not evoke the guilt that being short-tempered with your child does.

I think as moms we tend to overemphasize how we treat our kids. We think we are just horrible if we occasionally yell, or grab their arm too hard, in our opinions anyway. I know I want to be the perfect mother. I, too, feel guilty when I am not smiling and playing on the floor with my son entertaining him. Nevermind that what I really want to do is zone out and read a book, or God-forbid, eat something that I want to eat. It just seems like if a mom does something that she wants to do, even if our child is watching Sesame Street and enjoying himself, that we are not a 'good' mother. I mean I remember saying myself that I was never going to let my child watch a video; that's just a babysitter. Well, I am here to say not only has my son watched a video, but when I was baking Christmas cookies this year, he watched three, IN A ROW. Damn me to hell.

I still feel guilty whenever Steve watches TV. To make myself feel like a 'good' mommy, I limit his intake to two shows on PBS in the morning. Period. Most mornings we go out; this is the best time for both of us to get things done. But if we are home, I feel better if I can say he only watched 1-1 1/2 hours of PBS. I read to him at least three books a day, and we interact constantly. I used to make the joke that I was always in his face. I think that comes from him being my miracle child as well as my fear that he was also going to be an only child. Steve has crayons, watercolor paints, fingerpaints, and Colorw*onder fingerpaints, markers, and an easel with which to use them all. You know, I believe a child should be well-rounded, so I must provide everything possible for him to be a budding artist:) Steve is only allowed to use these items when an adult is present, for good reason. Truth is, that I am so tired lately that I rarely get these things out for him anymore, and Jeff isn't as interested in them as I am. So, once again, I feel guilty. I try to remind myself that I take him to tumbling class each week, he was enrolled in a baby music class, he continues to go with me on Wednesdays while I have my one hour 'break' with adults---he goes in the nursery and LOVES it, he goes to MOPPETS---a program for toddlers while I attend a monthly MOPS---mothers of preschoolers meeting---and LOVES it, on alternate weeks we attend a playgroup with kids his age. This does not include spontaneous trips to his cousins or trips to stores; he loves to shop! So on paper, I feel like I'm doing OK, but in reality I often sit and wonder if I'm doing enough. Not scheduled events, but in the everyday 'Mommy and Steve together' time. I hate to say it, but playing with trains and trucks bores me to tears. I long for adult conversation. I laugh when I think how different my days are now compared to when I taught fourth grade. This is the time of year we'd discuss the Holocaust and WW2. Well, instead of talking about intolerance and cruelty, I am singing 'If You're Happy and You Know It'. Just a little different, don't you think?

Now I do not want to complain about staying at home, because honestly I am happy to have the opportunity to do it. And I am much happier this year than I was last year. Steve can now communicate with me, so now I don't feel so alone. Plus, he truly is my buddy; he goes everywhere with me and nothing makes me happier than to to see him smile and to hear his laugh. It's just that I didn't realize there was going to be so much guilt involved in mothering. It never lessens; it just changes, and no one likes to admit that they feel like a bad mother at times. It's like if you say it, you become it, or at least people will think that of you. And I feel particularly guilty when I feel this way, because we went through so much to have him. I should be better at this; I feel I'm a good mother, but I could be better.

1 comment:

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

You are in big trouble. You cannot Judge yourself or being PERFECT in motherhood. What is perfect anyways?
Perfect is that walgreens commerical that comes on and sayts we don't live in perfect. I work in a messed up bank which screws up stuff and I get paid to fix it.
I hate my job most of the days. I never wished that I was home with Chloe though. i just never relished being a stay at home wife or mom. I have always wanted to work. This morning I woke up and asked myself why did I bust my ass at a prestigous colloge and I'm just a corporate banker. I had a discussion with a co-worker who is evil sometimes. This is the one with the black white issues. She made a point to say we have the same job and I have a college degree. She had three children before 19, take your pick. I chose the sterotyplical life. College, live at home, graduate college, get engaged, get married, have babies, oh yeah and try to make a living.

I struggle everyday. I remember in the summer of 2002 I was having ovarian/pelvic pain and was struggling in a different way than I am now. I was in so much pain, emotionally and physically. DH was not very supportive.
I remember lying on the couch after pelvic/appendix surgery and getting the call that my mom broke her hip. I seriously felt like crap. I couldn't beleive it I was so useless and she couldn't understand why I couldn't come up and see her when I was laid up with surgery. I didn't tell her about my pelvic problems and let her think the surgery was ER basis. She knew but i never wanted her to know. I felt inadequate. I still feel inadequate in my career and with depression.
I thrived after college for a career and i would up taking calls in a call center, this is the industry I'm still in to this day. I hate it each and everday but when I look beyound the job, i've made great friendships and know I truely have an honestly good boss who cares about me. This makes a huge difference now.

I am ranting but I know you need it just as you provide me support. Your a great mom. You do not have to go out and spending money for you to be a good mom. I give you alot of credit for going out in this weather and being pregnant. I should take a esaver to chicago and cheer you on. I know you will be fine.

I hear SAHM whine alot but there are always two sides of the story. I am a laxed mom, I've felt guilty for being a working mom, for Chloe having so many illnesses and ear infections. I took all this personally. Last week the therapist said I have to stop feeling guilty how can I do this. I feel guilty about everything. Spending money, needing time to take care of me. I feel like I need to be in CHloe's face every day to make it count. I really enjoy when she's on her own and playing. I will be recording her some day playing. SHe dress up and brings down the house so to speak. I love her more than words.

SO, we bought all that s tuff for Chloe, I've wound up giving alot away and throwing things out because of the fact it's everywehre and i'm sick fo seeing it. Moving was a huge compromise. WE have an awsome backyard and I plan on getting her a pool this year and CHillin. I cannot wait. The yard is easy to keep clean and it's so clear of trees. I guess I'm t rying to be positive.

I posted on my blog about my paxil if you'd like to read about it. I am watching that stupid american idol.
This girl is so dramatic. Chloes goes to gymnastics each saturday and i feel so guilty spending $50 a month for this when we have more pressing needs.

To reaffirm, I am glad I post poned school. These changes are swingging again in my mood. I see the Dr next week. I hope all goes well with the weather tomorrow. I'll update you then.

Stay Warm

JEnnnnnnn....................................