Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Putting My Money Where My Mouth Is

Every since Tot was born, I have been unhappy with my weight. I am particulary unhappy with my flabby stomach. Now I know it will never be the same again, but heck, how about not sticking out! It is so unflattering. I literally have been wearing dark colored shirts because they are so much more forgiving than white tops which show everything. At any rate, I joined the dance class with my friends, which I've enjoyed, but I know once a week isn't going to cut it. However, that class has shown me that I really do feel better after I exercise. My mood is lifted, I really DO have more energy, and if I would do it more often I could even lose some weight! I hate to admit it, but I need to exercise.

Now this isn't new information to me. I have always known that there are many benefits to exercise, but the benefits hadn't outweighed the, well, reasons NOT to exercise. Now they do. Hubby and I finally, after months, decided to join a gym. We have a L*fetime F*tness AKA--'The Meatmarket' by us. It has a lot of features that are great, but people come to the gym already looking great! Makeup on, Gucci bags, the whole nine yards. Definitely not my scene. I am very uncomfortable exercising in front of people to begin with, so I don't need the added pressure to look perfect before I even get there. There are a few others, but one is totally perfect for us. It is small, health focused, and if you are going during the day, there are only a FEW other moms, and then OLDER people. The kind of people who look at me, and don't see every inperfection that I see. Plus, it has a fabulous kids' area, a little cafe', and a fitness program designed for us so that we are doing the right things. The person who did mine checks in with me every week. Oh, and everything is computerized! So I put my password in and it tells me exactly what I should be doing down to the number of the position of the seat for me! Every machine has a small computer screen that gives me that information, which is perfect for me because I tend to forget due to the kids, etc...

I have actually been exercising guys! I can hear my mother laughing every time I walk quickly around the track, or after every weight I lift. I think she'd be proud.

Yesterday, I even had lunch in the cafe' BY MYSELF. No one needed anything cut up, filled up or fed to them. It was great! Soon I am going to sit in the jacuzzi tub, in the womens' locker room, and just let the jets hit my back and maybe fall asleep. So, I really am putting my money where my mouth is. Hopefully, this continues and I'll lose some tummy weight. I can only hope!

2 comments:

Jen said...

That place sounds great!
I love our gym, but unfortunatly use it more for the kids than myself. We have swimming, soccer, basketball etc...
I'd love to be able to put Miles in the daycare, but each time he's cried too much and I've been called to get him out.
Ho hum.
I bet you're going to feel great as you see the pounds melt off!

Tanya said...

I am so happy you found a gym you like.
I worked in the child Center of the first club you talked about and oh the stories I could tell you!