Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Being a Motherless Daughter...

The fourth of July was always a holiday celebrated in a big fashion with my mom's side of the family. Well, the ones who still lived in Chicago. We would always go to one of mom's cousins' with our dish to pass in hand. There was always so much to do. Swimming, horse-shoes, beanbag throwing, volleyball, you name it. I remember my mom being so excited to go; she loved her family. She loved getting together. My mother would beam every time she would talk with her aunts, uncles and cousins. She looked like a kid again; she just enjoyed herself so much. My mom had an idyllic childhood, and all of her family lived close-by. They all loved each other so much, and it showed whenever they were together. My mom's family is fun-crazy. They always made me smile. I tear up when I remember those days.

This year marks the fourth Fourth of July party that she wasn't here for. Surprisingly, it was the hardest one for me. My brother wasn't able to make it, nor did my father go. It was just hubby, the boys and I. We were late, but the Tot had to nap OR ELSE. I just felt like the odd man out. I don't know how to describe it. Everyone else's kids were there, adult kids, and I was there with no mother, no father, no brother. My mom wasn't there with her laughter filling the air. No seven-layer salad to eat, which was her specialty. No one plays volleyball any longer. Horse shoes were not out by the garage. The pool was open, but having my period, I didn't feel like going in. Plus, being in the pool means I have a child with me. So then there's getting swim diapers on and suits and sunscreen. I just wasn't up for it, which I feel badly about because I know the boys would have liked it. As it was, the Tot screamed almost non-stop for two hours. I did get to talk to my grandmother's brother, which I do enjoy. I love listening to stories about our family's past. My uncle also looks a lot like my much-loved grandmother. He's the last sibling left.

I felt like one of the cousins was mad at me. I began to feel like I wasn't one of the family. There is an element that has come into the family. The cousin I was the closest to has taken on drinking too much. His father has become an alcoholic, and it saddens me because he was such a good man. His mother, my mom's cousin, seems worried about things. A few members of the family call another few members 'good old boys', and that is not meant in a good way. People think hubby and I have so much. We are blessed, but we are blessed with a middle-class life not a wealthy lifestyle, believe me. A few of us have degrees, but most don't. We live in the suburbs; they live in the country. We are white-collar; most are blue-collar. I don't care about all of that, but I get the feeling others have an opinion about it. I feel like I am so different from everyone. Things change, I know. I just don't feel like I belong anywhere anymore. I feel like I'm losing my mother, little by little. This was one of her favorite days; a way to relive her childhood. She's gone, my great-aunt is gone, my grandmother is gone. Where am I? Where do I fit in? Every November I have an annual cousins' party. My mom and I started it back when her cancer came back. Family, and keeping it together, was very important to her. I promised her I would do my best to keep us all together. I really enjoy those cousins' parties in November. I want to be close to my family too. Why do I feel so alone, and what can I do about it? Does anyone else feel this way? Being a motherless daughter just sucks; this I know for sure.

4 comments:

MB said...

It's so interesting to me that mom's are the glue. I know so many people who have lost their mothers whose families are just not the same, many for whom the word 'family' just isn't the same. Moms really do rule. I don't know if I could function without mine. I'm so sorry you've had to make your way without yours. Hugs.

Jen Taurus said...

Hey Bev,

Sorry the blues have caught you up there. I really have a 'date' memory and every year at the end of june is my nieces birthday, I always looked forward to this celebration more than any other family get to gethers. When I first moved to NC this was the hardest for me to deal with.

One year, my mom had her breast removed right after the birthday party, I beleive it was the next day. My mind always follows dates and I have a memory like an elephant. I drive myself nuts. I can place stuff based on what event happend and when.

I'm sorry you feel so alone. I really don't call NY my home anymore, since with out my mom, were a broken family. Have you ever watched Lilo and Stitch, this is a great story about the tiny girl growing up without her parents. For some reason it's tugged on my heart. I think life is so unfair, why does it have to be us.

As for the comment about blue collar vs white collar, my brothers are all blue color and they make loads more $$ then us white collar people. I think this is an old fashioned sterotype which needs to be put to bed once and for all.

I wish we were near each other so we could hang out. I'm sure tot is so much fun. As for the period thing, I hate that too. Atleast, I'm not bleeding from the stupid IUD anymore that it's out.

I'm sorry to say I feel your pain.
Sometimes I feel lost. Yes, lost.

Do you ever wanna shout out, I hate my life because I'm parentless. Well, my dad died 10 years ago, but I didn't know him, since my parents were diviorced.

Stay Strong and I'm here for you.

Jen

Kate said...

Oh Bev, I'm sorry the 4th was such a hard day for you. I can't even imagine. Your entry broke my heart.

You're a wonderful woman, Bev. Your mom has to be so proud of you. I don't know that I would have even been able to go, let alone stay when feeling so bad.

Hope you're doing better...

xoxo

Davenholl said...

Came across your blog today and reading your Fourth of July entry made me remember my first fourth without my mother...it was not the same. It was akward but here I was as a kid trying to get some resemblence of a fun time when what I really wanted to do was just cry! This is why I tell others to CHERISH the times when family are gathered...! Great posting. God Bless.