Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Clarification on Depression

In my last post, it seemed like I was telling everyone that you could simply DO something to get yourself out of a true depression. That is not the case. I am on medication, attend therapy and exercise all in an attempt to keep my clinical depression at bay. Real depression, clinical depression is not something one can 'snap out of'. If I was not on my meds., in addition to everything else, there is no way I could have felt better so soon. There is no way I could have even made it out of bed. I did not want to trivialize true depression. Feeling down, really down, isn't even the same thing. When I feel down, I can attempt to do something that I know would make me feel better. When my depression was untreated, there was no way in hell I could have made it to the gym. There is no way I would have even wanted to.

Yesterday, I felt even worse than I had the day before. I was hours late in taking my meds., no caffeine, and I slept late. Like until 1PM late. Yah. Not like me. When I fear that the black cloud, the hole, is coming I need to DO something. I get so scared that I may have to battle the depression again. Whenever I am feeling that level of anxiety, I clean. Not like a normal cleaning. I spend HOURS at it even though the cleaning lady was just here. I vacuumed, dusted and washed the playroom's colorful foam floor. I vacuumed every carpeted surface in this house. Sheets were changed on everyone's bed. I applied so many layers of Quick Shine to the wood floors, that I am surprised that no one slipped and fell today.

Today, Hubby came home to find all of the Christmas stuff gone. The tree, stockings, incidentals--all gone. As my older son said, "It took a long time. It was hard." I also made a trip to Target with the boys. See, I keep myself so busy that I can't even think about anything. And guess what? Today was better. I don't know how tomorrow will be, but I am going to try to be positive. That, and have a list handy of things that need to be cleaned. Who knows, maybe I"ll dust behind the bed and under the dressers. Oh, the fun I'll have!

4 comments:

Tanya said...

I do the same thing.
Clean.
Staying BUSY is the key for me.

Kate said...

Bev, we're so alike it's scary!

(Although, I'm just getting around to taking down the Christmas stuff today... I usually take it down the day after Christmas! I'm such a scrooge.)

Anonymous said...

Any of you live in MI? My house could use a good, thorough cleaning AND the Christmas decorations need to be taken down and put away. Think of all the fun you'd have, a different house to clean, new decorations to put away!!

Kidding aside (although I was kind of serious!), Bev, I think it's great that you pointed out how there's no magic cure for depression. Can't just take a pill and be "cured". It can't be easy to battle it all the time, especially with two little ones. Keep doing what you need to do!!

formerteacher said...

Island girl--so glad to hear that someone else needs to stay busy!

Kate, you KNOW we are alike! If I didn't keep hearing about weather-related things happening in Washington, I'd have to catch a plane and visit you! It'd be nice to be with someone who 'gets' me. (BTW, I saw on the t.v. today that now you're encountering mudslides! WTF? Weren't you moving there for BETTER weather:)

Colleen--thanks for the support. I know it's not easy to understand depression, but I thank you for trying.