Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Update On Baby Girl

Every time I go to church, I stop in the nursery to take a look at that cute little baby girl. I always ask the nursery attendant how 'our' little girl is doing, all the while knowing I will never be her mom. The other day when I sat and talked to her, Tot got in between us. Little jealous dude! I have never seen that side of him before. He wanted my attention, but he never touched the baby.
The situation for baby girl is bleak. Her mom is a 16-year old, and baby girl is her second child. She had her first at 14, and abused that baby, which was taken away from her. Therefore, when baby girl was born, she was immediately taken away too. The mom has to get custody back of child #1 before she can get baby girl back. This is why these kids languish in the foster/adoption system. The 'system' gives the parents too long to get their act together. Many times they never do, or they don't agree to sever their parental rights until the children are older and much harder to adopt. This is what my fear is for baby girl. Her mom gets visitation, and breastfeeds her on the weekend, so I doubt she's giving up custody any time soon. I tell you guys, I never in a million years saw this coming. Never thought I'd ever consider a county adoption. But I tell you, if there was any way at all that we could adopt baby girl, I'd do it in a heartbeat, and she'd be the most spoiled little girl in many ways!

2 comments:

Katie said...

Such a sad situation for baby girl and her sibling. At 16, it's tough for the mom to just be a teenager, let alone a mother to two young children. I hope that the girl/mom will think seriously about what she's putting her children through and make the right decision, whatever that may be. If she wants her kids back, she better grow up fast.

I can feel that you are longing for a daughter. I'd be in the same boat had I not had girl/boy fraternal twins. I'm one of those women that always dreamed of having a little girl one day. And because my mom and I never got along due to cultural differences (me growing up in America) my desire to have a daughter intensified. I wanted a daughter to bond with and do everything my mom and I never did. I just know it will be wonderful.

I hope that everything works out for you. And I also agree that if you could adopt that little baby girl, she would be loved beyond measure.

Sue said...

Awww, she sounds totally adorable. What a sad situation, happens all too often the world over. I am sure she would be absolutely treasured by you and your family.