Wednesday, March 23, 2005

It's All Sunshine and Roses Here

Things were going better today. I told myself I needed to try my best to have a better attitude or I'd never get through the next 7-8 weeks. Steve was wonderful in the church nursery today. Unfortunately he ran away from me in the parking lot. I only dropped his hand to open the car door, and I had him positioned between me and the car. Well, he got away and I ran after him. All the while there are two elderly women laughing, no doubt remembering these days themselves. We had to make a few stops and Steve was excellent; he is always great when you take him out.

When we got home, I took out the mix for banana bread, which he loves, and let him help me pour in the ingredients and stir. I am trying to do fun activities with him thinking maybe he needs more positive attention. He loves it, and lunch goes well too. I put him down for his nap, and am feeling more hopeful. Until the phone rings.

It's my doctor's office. To preface this, let me tell you that I finally took my 1 hour diabetes test this past Sunday. Better late than never. Well, after I ate a donut and granola bar, I remembered I had to take the test. Since I can never get someone to watch Steve, and I can't see taking him to a one-hour test, I just decided to go. Jeff was with him, so I felt I had no choice. I told Jeff that if I failed I knew why, and I wasn't taking that 3-hour test again. I had to with Steve, and I hated it. So guess what? Yep, I failed the one-hour glucose test by almost exactly the same amount as I failed it with Steve. BTW, I know how I failed it with Steve too. Apple juice and sweets are not a good thing to ingest before this test. So knowing how awful the 3-hour was, and how I passed that with flying colors, I told Jeff I wasn't going to do the three-hour. I failed by a small amount, and if I really felt I had diabetes I would take it, but I don't. And having gone through this exact same thing with Steve, and having passed the three hour with stellar results, I feel I am making the right decision. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and plan to let him know my decision. I'm sure he'll love it, but too bad. The nurse told me I have to go on a special diet and fast for 12 hours before the test. I'll let her explain it all to me, but I won't do it. So I'll be doing the old AMA thing; against medical advice. What a rebel I am. UGH!

No comments: