Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Things I Don't Understand

Tonight we went to dinner with Jeff's parents and aunt and uncle. They made a reservation for first available. Of course, we ended up getting a table off the bar that is clearly smoking. No one was smoking when we got there, so I decided to let it go. Let me also mention it was two for one pasta night, so there was no chance of moving unless we wanted to wait another 20-30 minutes. As those of you with toddlers know, that ain't gonna happen! After about 10 minutes this couple comes in, and yes, starts smoking, at the table right next to us. Now the room we are in only has four tables, so you can imagine how much smoke was blowing our way. I have always hated smoke, even when I was doing the whole 'teenage smoking thing'. It was funny, I used to comment that smoking the cigarette myself bothered me much less than being exposed to it second-hand. But I digress. Now my son is sitting there ingesting this smoke, as am I, 8 months pregnant me. Believe me, I am so big these people knew I was pregnant. However, I am aware we were in the smoking section, so these people had every right to smoke there. I was more upset by the lack of thought by whomever in Jeff's family made the reservation. Even when I am not pregnant, we will still have young kids, and I do NOT want them exposed unnecessarily to smoke. Jeff's grandma died from emphysema, and my mom had cancer, so I just am even more sensitive to the issue of second-hand smoke.

Another bad thing about the smoke is that I came home smelling REALLY bad, as did Jeff and Stephen. I can still taste it in my throat---YUK! It also doesn't help that I have the sense of smell of a bloodhound right now. But seriously, why would they make a reservation for smoking knowing that Stephen and I were coming? I just don't get it.

Next time I will post about Easter. I have some things to share, but not the time in which to do it in right now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate smoking anywhere. It's so prevelant in the south, it's tabacco country. YUCK.

I refused to sit anywhere near smoking. i know what you mean about reaking of it when you leave. Some people smoke with babies in the rooms and in their homes. I have coworkers that stink and smoke.

Well, I'll stop ranting. How's baby doing? WEre fine. I need to post an update but I"m so tired tonight.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I'm anonymous - Jennifer

Jen Taurus said...

Hey Bev,

how are you doing? I haven't seen any posts from you lately.

We are doing ok. The weather is beautiful one day and rains for three days. Spring has sprung here in the south. We are surviving though. What a rough life.

Chloe and her dad are starting to spend time to gether and they had alot of fun today. She slept almost 3 hours for me. I'm so jealous of naps.

My friend whose having another baby is getting big. I think it's a boy because last year she was pregnant with #2 and was so super sick all the time. Now, she's sick on and off but more hungry.
How come people who are careless get pregnant so easily?

WEll I'll stop babbling now.

Jennifer