Friday, January 27, 2006

Say It Ain't So, Joe!

Today I spent 30 minutes talking to a director of the pre-school I believe I'll be sending S. to. Luckily, my friends mentioned to me that the time has come to start looking into pre-schools. Well, 'observing' pre-schools. To be honest with you I wish that I could just send my child to a pre-school that I inheritantly knew would be a great place for him to be. Plus, in this area there are so many choices. Sometimes I think there are too many choices in life. Like when my hubby and I registered for baby gifts. There were about 20 different strollers to choose from, and the only things that I knew a stroller of mine better have was a cup holder and a light frame because I would be lifting it and didn't want to throw my back out. Man, did J and I ever hate registering for baby gifts! Unfortunately, we, excuse me---I, am having to basically shop for a preschool for my first pride and joy. I did have a few requirements, but then when the director asked me if I had any further questions, I KNEW I SHOULD have some, but my mind went blank. Lucky for me, this woman was wonderful. She explained everything with such passion that you could tell she loves what she does. It sounds like a great program, and she invited me to stop by anytime to observe while the students are there WITH my son so he can see if he likes it there too. They also have an open house coming up on a WEEKEND! J. can go! I seriously don't think he cares; I'm going to say this is because he trusts me implicitly. I mean, I AM the educator of the family:) This is a church run, Christian-based preschool which is a plus for me. I also love this church and know people who have sent their kids to this program, so I am hoping I love the preschool too.

I just can't believe it's time for my son to go off to school, to start a new phase of his life WITHOUT ME. I knew this day would come, and yes at times it can't come soon enough. However, I remember when he was born and as I lay there in the hospital I said to my husband," Since he has an October birthday I get to have him for another year." I said this while in the midst of PPD and morphine. And I have always been glad about that. Now every time I look at him, I realize he is a boy and not a baby or even a toddler. I had Valentine's Day pictures of him and tater tot taken yesterday, and when you look at then S. just looks so old, so much like a boy. My son knows many letters, numbers up to 13+, colors and now shapes. In September, let's say I was getting a little concerned. Now I keep having to tell him to stop touching a print of ours that hangs in our family room. Why is he touching it? Because it says Kandinsky.... and he keeps pointing to the letters he knows. He does this on the television too. Yes, it is cute, but after awhile it's like enough already. S. is pee-trained. Such a good boy he rarely asks for a treat now. It's been a week since he's gone poops on the potty, however at least that I know is normal. So we are saving money on diapers and wipes, and moving forward to boyhood. Sniff, sniff....

2 comments:

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

How I feel your pain. I agonozied over daycare, all five of them.
I realize now that we outgrown things and moving daycares is just as normal as changing jobs, except it's more strangers and it's with your kids lives.

I feel the same agony over kindergarten. The literacy and math scores are below 85% at the 'local' home public school we live in, so it's a no go. Don't want to risk it. I want my daughter to be very literate just like we are. Somethings won't be compromised.

I applied to a charter school too, but they use raced based quotas, which I'm against. I don't think they have a cafeteria either.

All roads are leading to the paid christan school, she's at right now. They make AWSOME hot meals, we'd still drop her off, no bussing, and they stay for after school to. Total with after school is about $390 a month. So much for saving money from not using daycare, but its so worth the investment. My daughter knows her phonics and how to write her name and is spelling a bit. SHe is learnding to read via phonics and blends. I learned through phonic's too. Have you ever heard of an open court reading program.
A coworkers daughter is in second grade and is funcitonally illiterate. Come on now. You gotta stand up for your kids.

Well I'm off to lunch - meeting up with some people form work who had weight loss surgery. Great support I just gotta get off my ass.

Oh yeah, I stopped my paxil cold turkey and I feel fine. I have alot of tingling going on inside and diarrhea. I can deal though.
I'm still taking wellbutrin. I have not stopped that. Paxil is too big for me ot take after weight loss surgery so it was one of the main reasons why we stopped.

WE had no hot water until Wednesday night. Funny thing, I go to friends house, shower and then smell like fucking cigarettes.
I had a dr's appointment that afternoon. I cannot win.

Unknown said...

You can find out more about the Open Court reading program at http://www.opencourtresources.com