Monday, September 11, 2006

A Brief Remembering of 9/11

So much has already been said about 9/11/01, probably better than I myself could say it, so I'm just going to use bullets to write about what I remember about that day. Background info., I was teaching 4th grade still and had no babies at that time.

  • Heard about the first plane hitting the first tower while driving to work. Honestly believed that the plane must have made a mistake, such as flying too low.
  • Just minutes after I walked into the teacher's lounge, I saw the second tower being hit, and instantly knew that was no mistake, we were under attack.
  • Verbally said that I believed Osama Bin Laden was to behind it.
  • Had to go upstairs to my classroom. Saw my fellow 4th grade teacher had her television on in her room. Her husband is an American Airlines pilot stationed in Miami, where the planes originated from. He also was set to fly to the east coast that morning; a very normal thing for him to do. She could not reach him by phone, and could not verify that he hadn't been the pilot of one of the planes. She was beyond numb and worried.
  • Turned my tv off before the kids arrived.
  • Talked about it with my students; probably more than I should have. I felt talking about it would help, because even the kids who didn't hear about it before school, would surely hear about it before they went home.
  • Our principal went to every classroom telling us not to turn on our televisions, and not to talk about what happened. Parents were called and told they could pick their child up if they wanted to. Only one of my students was picked up early.
  • Our school was on lock-down. No going outside to recess even though it was a gorgeous day. Try explaining THAT to the kids when you weren't supposed to be saying anything in the first place!
  • Watched coverage at lunchtime with all the other staff members. It was completely quiet in the lounge except for that tv.
  • Went home, and all I remember was when I got home there were no television stations that weren't broadcasting about the attacks. I talked to my mom I think.
  • Hubby and I went out and bought an American flag and immediately put it up.
  • Hubby had a business trip scheduled for the next day. I thought and hoped they would cancel it because I couldn't imagine not being able to set my eyes on him each night. Planes were discontinued, but he could travel by car.
  • Giving my hubby my car, his car was having minor problems, because I wanted him to be as safe as he could be.
  • We were supposed to have an Open House Night at school/work the next night. The board decided it should go on as planned.
  • Walking into the school seeing the words God Bless America on a banner in front of the main entrance. Thought to myself, 'this is a public school. We aren't supposed ot have any mention of God in or near the school. No one complained.
  • All of the area hospitals had cancelled their non-essential surgeries for a day or two. I thought, 'Great. I'm supposed to have my surgery on Friday to see why I can't get pregnant! Everything always goes wrong! I'm never going to have a child! Now I can't even adopt because of the state of the world! (Immediately felt guilty for thinking of myself.)
  • My mom found out her cancer was back that week.

God bless all of those who died for our country. God bless the families and friends left behind. Most of all God Bless America!

No comments: