Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Little Bit of This, A Little Bit of That

Yesterday I had yet another psych. appt. Damn, this depression is as stubborn as my 2 year-old son! Basically I was told that there has been too much stress in my life due to my ILs, and this is hampering the ability for these meds. to work, or something like that. I was given ideas on how to reduce stress, although they were happy the number one stress factor, 'crazy ILs' has been eliminated for the time being. So I need to relax. Kind of sounds like the advice I was given while trying to get pregnant. Funny how things seem to go in one big circle.

After my meds. were adjusted, and another appt. made, we discussed Katrina. I feel bad posting mundane topics like potty-training while this has been happening, but sometimes I need a bit of a reprieve from the absolutely horrible things that happen in our world. At any rate, my nurse practioner had just been at the place where the the strom survivors, that sounds more positive, were taken. They had arrived in the middle of the night, and it was easy to see that my nurse was deeply affected by what she saw. She only told me about a father who had been separated from his family, and how awful it's been for him. Can you imagine? Then she promised to call me if there was anything I could do for them. Do you think that a clinically depressed person would 'qualify' for a volunteer position? Course, maybe I'd be an asset. I might be able to relate a little with how they're feeling. Probably not. Because although we moved 15 times when I was a kid, yes FIFTEEN, it was never because a storm blew my hometown to bits, and my family was always together.

I made the mistake of watching Oprah on Tuesday. Well, let's just say that the man who was sobbing because he had to leave his dog, the only thing he cared about in this world--the only thing he saved from his home, and just leave him to basically die. That was too much. That was the last straw. I prayed to God right then to help that man and all of the others, and the animals too, because let's be honest very few of them will be rescued. And starving to death is no way to let one of God's creatures die. I saw pictures of disabled people who had died in their wheelchairs, and thought about the babies who would not get the formula or breastmilk they need to survive. And I prayed to God to take the pain away from these people and animals.

And I am angry that the government, the local government to start, did nothing for days. Now come on, New Orleans' /Louisiana's government knew they were below sea level and this flood was a possibility. They should have had a plan, SOME sort of plan, about what to do. Those buses should have been in those poor neighborhoods getting the people out BEFORE the hurricane struck. But I digress. I also believe a clinically depressed woman should not watch Oprah's coverage of any tragedy. I learned that.

On a lighter note, I went to rent the movie Prozac Nation. I have just finished reading the book. Well, it was completely sold out. I guess there are a few more depressed people out there than I realized. Oh, goody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Google And Insurer Geico Settle Lawsuit
Google Inc. and insurance company Geico have settled a lawsuit in which the latter company accused the search giant of trademark violations.
Hi, I was just checking out blogs and surfing through some and found you! I like your blog. I will book mark it and come back soon. If you are interested, go see my birthday gift related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.birthday gift

Jen Taurus said...

Bev,

I thought I wrote yesterday but it disappeared. If you look on your Blogger main log in page it will tell you how to shut off this spam comment stuff so they stop posting them. I cannot beleive these idiots who full up our email are not killing the blogs.

I have not seen nor read prozac nation, it sounds deep so I think I'd better wait. I save my reading time for 'fun stuff' like girl books about being wreckless with shopping or living on park avenue. I will let you know if I find something next.

As for the inlaws - yuck. This unfortunetly will lead to problems later that you will have to deal with. I am not saying this is wrong, but it's not something that you can write off and then rest easy on it. I'm estranged from 1 of my brothers and do not communicate with 2 of them. It's such a bore being dulled down with their problems and their drinking.
Let their wives handle it. We all have different opinions.

I also use call waiting. I have a friend I really like but she wares me out. Really. I have to put her on voicemail sometimes too. My stress tolerance get's low.

I don't feel as on edge today. SO this is good. I see my therapist tuesday and I'll ask him about the medicine. I see people on ad's and they are happy. The medicine changes them. My medicine takes some of the hatefulness away but not much more. I hate paxil. I have hated it since last year when I started it. It's taken a toll on me and it doesn't work good.

The new psych said I have stubborn depression, i am gonna take your advice and call him. I see the therapist and then will go from there.

Take care - being up at 3am sucks,

JT